What Would You Use?

Decorating By cake4court Updated 11 Oct 2015 , 5:07am by julia1812

cake4court Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 8

Going to attempt something like this design...would you  use royal icing or buttercream? (on a buttercream cake). Those ruffles almost look like fondant...


7 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 8

Wafer paper for the ruffles? Royal icing or sugar veil for the rest. Woof that's a gorgeous cake.

Brookebakescake Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 8

You could use fondant, as it looks like the wide stripe next to the ruffles might be fondant.

cake4court Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

Isn't it lovely? Hope i can come sort of close grinning.png. hmmm was hoping to not use fondant

Brookebakescake Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 8

you could also use candy clay (modeling chocolate) or gum paste.   or you could use royal icing for the wide parts.  I wouldn't personally use royal for the ruffles as I would be paranoid about breaking.

costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 8

I think it's gumpaste for the ruffles and royal icing piped on for the rest of it. Makes my hand hurt looking at it...   :/

cake4court Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 2:51am
post #7 of 8

costumeczar the more I look at it the more I think you are exactly right. Yes, luckily my cake is half the size blush.png

julia1812 Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 5:07am
post #8 of 8

"Makes my hand hurt looking at it...   :/"

Hahaha exactly my thoughts.

I would also make sure that you get the piped lines all parallel.  Looking at the cake (which is gorgeous! ) I can't help but stare at the lines in the right mirrored C. They go in the wrong direction. And also the piping on the second layer I'd a bit off. Maybe that's just me being OCD,  but I noticed that straight away and for me it brakes with the otherwise quite clean and symmetric pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%