Frosting Pushing Out Side Of Cake Into Fondant Creating A Bump - Help!

Decorating By dloech Updated 9 Oct 2015 , 6:41pm by cakedout

dloech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dloech Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

Made a tiered cake and frosted it. Frosting is buttercream 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening (wilton recipe) which usually works well. 

Covered cake in fondant and now appears that frosting on top tier is pushing out the sides of the cake leaving me with a bump. scared to push on the sides as nervous it will push out the other side.

Delivery is tomorrow - also concerned about putting cake in fridge to shore up frosting bc it's a tiered cake and worried about fondant sweating when i take it out.

Thinking about removing the top tier and just putting that in fridge to shore it up. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Signed,

PANICKING

7 replies
dloech Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

Cake had been in fridge, then crumb coated, then back in fridge for a significant amount of time. ARGH!!! 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 8

Is it the filling that is coming out at the sides...the dreaded "bulge?"  Or possibly an air bubble from the cake coming to room temp? 

dloech Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

Dreaded BULGE!!! Any thoughts on how to remedy? I may just have to make the whole damn tier again. 

jgdorothy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 8

I solved this issue with all of my cakes by taking part of the buttercream frosting, adding a significant amount of powdered sugar to it, and using a round plain decorating tip to put a "bank" around the top edge of my cake layer.  Then  put filling in middle, leveling off at top of band of thicker frosting.  The consistency of the frosting used to create this should be able to be handled...make a rope in effect around the edge.  

I cannot take credit for this process. Sharon Zambito introduced it in one of her videos.  She has lots of good tips and tricks...worth the investment in her online tutorials.  Just google her name.

Hope this helps!

jgdorothy

jgdorothy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 8

one more thing...quick fix would be to put ribbon around center of fondant layer. If that works with your design. Just a thought.

thanks

Jgdorothy

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't had to deal with the dreaded bulge, so I can't help :(   I've read about how to prevent it - as jgdorothy states, using a dam, but I don't recall reading about any fixes once it occurs.  I don't know if it's the BC I use that I don't have that issue?   I use a BC that uses no liquids - butter, sugar, salt, vanilla.

I do like the idea of a ribbon around the bulge if that works for your design.  Easier than starting over.

*Last edited by 640Cake on 9 Oct 2015 , 6:22pm
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 8

Are you sure it is the filling pushing out, or just an air bubble?  Have you tried poking it with a straight pin to confirm either way?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%