Fondant Decoration Is Cracking?

Decorating By kandyslife Updated 10 Oct 2015 , 6:31pm by kandyslife

kandyslife Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 8:09am
post #1 of 6

this is new to me, never has my fondant decorations cracked. The decorations were done few days in advance and they are solid and hard, so i do not understand how they cracked? (they were colored gold on top )

The fondant are circles (3D round circles/ balls)  and stacked over each other with a stick going through them

They go in this order: Two small cirlce's  then a bigger one and then two smaller ones on top

the bigger on in the middle, cracked in various places and another smaller one on top of it cracked also

the smaller one can be colored over and hide the crack, but the bigger one cracked alot, and a bit deeply

does anyone know why they are cracking?

*Last edited by kandyslife on 9 Oct 2015 , 8:46am
5 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 11:20am
post #2 of 6

They're probably still drying out and are cracking as they dry. If you put a stick through things that can make them do strange things as they dry too, but it's hard to say for sure.

julia1812 Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 11:50am
post #3 of 6

My guess is that it's due to the fact that it's not dry inside but it is outside.  It's loosing a bit of mass (shrinks) but it only the outer surface does it cracks. Maybe it dried too fast (in the oven with pilot light?) . I work with crackling pained when I do furniture and wooden frames. Might be the same process. ...but not 100% sure.

kandyslife Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:47am
post #4 of 6

@costumeczar  i actually pierced the balls when i made them, so that when they dried i would only have to slide them on to the wooden skewer, and i left them out for a few days, and there was a whole in the middle of the ball, so i'm assuming they must have also dried from the inside, i remember they were solid :/, and then after a few days, when i slide them on the stick, two cracked, 

@julia1812  no actually i did not turn on the oven light, because i had plenty of time for them to dry. but maybe because the balls were a little big and heavy, and so the weight of them on top of each other kind of squeezed them and made them crack? but weirdly enough it was the middle big one and the smaller one above it that cracked, there wasn't that much pressure on them

The two lower smaller balls that were being squeezed the most were fine and not cracking

i hope i'm making sense, because its really hard to explain 

costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 6

I thnk you're making sense, but I don't know if I'm picturing it the right way. I think that @julia1812  is right, though, because it looks like fondant is dry a long time before it's actually dry all the way through. If the balls weren't 100% completely dry all the way through and you put a stick back into them that could make them crack. Fondant will also shrink a little when it dries, so if the hole for the stick was the exact size it needed to be when you pulled it out to let them dry, then you stuck it back in when it had shrunk, that would crack it. You might not have the same problem if you had left the stick in while they were drying.

*Last edited by costumeczar on 10 Oct 2015 , 12:45pm
kandyslife Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 6

@costumeczar  your probably right, because the holes i made were smaller when the fondant had dried, i had to pretty much re-pierce them a bit so that they would slide on

thank you so much for your input, next time i will keep them on the stick to avoid cracking

@julia1812  thank you very much also

<3<3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%