How To Make A Princess Cake In An Hours Time?

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 8 Oct 2015 , 8:49pm by Annie8

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 11:31am
post #1 of 10

Well...If you can...good for you. Because I CAN'T! 

Made 36 princess cupcakes on Wednesday with fondant crowns, sceptors and ruffle princess dresses as topper. 

Same late afternoon the mother of the young lady calls me in a state of panic telling me there were no cupcakes left over after school (you bet!) and her girl wants a princess cake...NOW. She would come in an hour to collect it. Me - sort if thinking she's joking - go like...eh, an hour is a bit short notice... She replies 'okay, let's say two hours then'.

I'm a hobby baker...one woman show. I make my cakes, buttercreams, fillings and fondant from fresh and from scratch. How on earth do people come up with bull*hit like that? I didn't even know what to reply...my first instinct was to burst out laughing... second was anger.

So went shopping this morning (was out of sugar, can you imagine!) and quickly put together a doll cake. Even that simple cake took me 4 hrs!

Had to rant...sorry. But now that it's dine I feel I have to get that out. Didn't even explain her why and what as I feel it's a waste of time. Obviously that lady never baked a cake in her life.  Otherwise she would have known better, wouldn't she?

*Last edited by julia1812 on 8 Oct 2015 , 11:40am
9 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 11:46am
post #2 of 10

I've had many people call me over the years with requests like that.  One guy used to call regularly wanting a cake in 2 to 3 hours, even though I always turned him down.  One question I've gotten is, "Don't you keep a frozen cake or two on hand for emergencies?" to which my reply was always no and that I baked each cake as ordered, not weeks or months in advance anticipating someone needing one in a emergency. 

I would have told her that this wasn't possible and her best bet was Wal-Mart or the local grocery store bakery who keep cakes ready for pickup anytime.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 10

I actually would have burst our laughing.

#nofilter

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 10

I would've refused the order on the theory that if you pull something like that in that short amount of time, word will get out and people will start expecting that from you.

ssmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssmore Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 10

Same here!! I always get those requests, cake in 2 hoursflushed.png.  One guy actually ask my address , when i asked why, he said he will be coming to pickup cake, which he never ordered. He thought i will be having cakes ready to pickup any time. Lol!!!!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10

I read all posts twice...and then i still thought you were kidding!  Thankfully, I have never come across that but, then again, I did have a conversation with my other half last night how people are sometimes complete idiots (or massively naive?!) when it comes to the time required to do things.  We were watching an episode of Grand Designs and the guy was going to build a MASSIVE, architecturally complex 4-bedroom house with vaulted ceilings himself using only hand tools (yes, pickaxes and stuff) in a little over a year.... while working full time too.  If he can to that, then surely we can whip us a fairytale cake in an hour, right??!  ( I am writing this with a hefty dose of sarcasm, shock, general horror and incredulity...)

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 10

Wow!  I thought it was bad when people ask just a few days in advance!!  

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 10

Glad I'm not the only one! After I put that cake together in no time this morning  (and yes, she paid a hefty fee for that!), I was sitting around for 6 bloody hours until she finally came to collect it! Well...In fact she'd sent her husband; )

Wondering how an hour can stretch so easily into 24 hrs for her. Emergency I'm thinking. ..? Really?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 10

It's her world, you're just living in it to service her.

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 10

Do you suppose sometimes those Cake Wars or Cupcake Wars type shows influence people to think this way?  I never understand how they can make all those cupcakes in a couple hours,  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%