Single Cupcakes

Baking By LouisNutri Updated 7 Oct 2015 , 5:02am by johnson6ofus

LouisNutri Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 8:45am
post #1 of 7

Hi! Is there a way to bake single cupcakes from a standardized cupcake recipe that yields a dozen cupcakes? A lot of people are asking me if I could possibly bake for them several flavors, but they only want one per flavor. I've seen single serving cupcakes, but I'm not sure if they will yield the same quality with my trusted recipes.

6 replies
MimiFix Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7

If you want a different flavor, start with a basic cupcake recipe. It might be possible to portion batter into a small cup and add a drop of flavoring. If you only want to add nuts or chips, etc, portion batter into cupcake liner and drop in a few additions. From a business standpoint, this is something I would not attempt because of the annoyance factor. Just because someone asks for a single cupcake, does not mean you must say yes. Good luck!

thecakewitch Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 7

I would do a single order of cupcake but they still need to pay my minimum of 2 doz.

julia1812 Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 7

Minimum I do is 6 of one flavor as my recipes are easy to half. But that doesn't mean I would start baking for 6 cupcakes. ..But if someone wants 6 chocolate 6 vanilla 6 coconut 6 strawberry cupcakes.  Yes that's possible.  I use cupcake orders as a filler sort of thing. And 95% of the cupcake orders are with custom made toppers for me anyway. That's where the money is for me and I'm willing to go the extra mile dividing a cupcake recipe if quantity is given.

Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 7

This sounds like a losing proposition to me.  It's way too much work for just a dozen cupcakes.  The only way I see this working out for you is to advertise a sampler special on a given date and you get x number of orders.  Otherwise, sorry lady, you need to go to shop where they have all the different flavors out already.

Magda_MI Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 12:41am
post #6 of 7

Yep, tell them to go to a specialty cupcake shop that already has a bunch of flavors made if they want each one different.  It's not practical to make less than at least a dozen of any given flavor, when most recipes make 2 dozen.

Or tell them if they can get at least 11 friends to make the exact same order for the same day, then you'll do it. ;-)

johnson6ofus Posted 7 Oct 2015 , 5:02am
post #7 of 7

Or freeze individuals and thaw and decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%