Tips For A Jello Poke Cake

Baking By bdinney_95 Updated 5 Oct 2015 , 8:53pm by EmiliaJosefina

bdinney_95 Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 1:33am
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone! I am wanting to try a jello poke cake out for my sisters birthday (she's turning 8 and likes only vanilla so I thought this would be a cool and fun way to make it more interesting!) Anyway I do not have the time to make the cake the day before (it will be buttercreamed and covered in fondant) and so I will be freezing the layers. I already assumed to not add the jello before freezing but how would i do this after? Wait for the cake to fully defrost and come to room temp (but then it would be harder to fill and ice)? Any tips would be awesome! 

2 replies
ropalma Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 3

I am assuming that you are filling and icing a frozen cake?  When I freeze the cakes a let them go to room temperature before I fill and ice so I am not sure what is your concern. 

EmiliaJosefina Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 3

First of all, I love jello poke cake! But, I'm not sure it will work for the style of cake you're going for. It's usually a pretty wet cake. I've never tried to fill it, but I think you might find that the results are less than desirable. I've never seen jello cake served any way but covered in whipped cream and left in the pan, and generally it sticks pretty badly due to the jello, whixh is probably why it's served that way. 

As for the freezing, I agree with you that you'd need to let the cake come back close to room temp to add the jello, but then you'd need to chill it again to let the jello set, which might take more time than you have the day before. 

If I were you, I'd probably just make a white cake, but if you have your heart set of a jello poke cake, you may want to try it out before your sister's birthday to avoid unpleasant surprises. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%