Fondant Discs On Cupcakes

Decorating By lnzlue Updated 4 Oct 2015 , 11:05am by cupcakemama3

lnzlue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnzlue Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

Someone who was at a birthday party I made a cake for asked me to do her daughter's party which is the middle of this month, outdoors in Chicagoland area (to give an idea of climate). I am planning to make cupcakes with fondant discs on top.

My question is if I use a crusting buttercream recipe such as the Wilton one, will the discs be okay and not droop? I plan to put them on up to 6 hours before they will be eaten. Should they be okay? Tips, suggestions? Thank you!

3 replies
whitleyjean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitleyjean Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

Just a hobby baker here, but I think you will be fine as long as the fondant discs are "dried." I usually make mine a day or two ahead of time so they can stiffen up. I put a ring of buttercream on the cupcake wide as the fondant disc...so there is nothing extra hanging over. It sits on top nicely, and the buttercream supports it underneath.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 4

You can make the fondant discs as far ahead as you want.  You can also add a little cornstarch to make sure they dry firm and store them in a cardboard box to get them really dry.  If you want them to still have some chew to them you can store them in plastic containers.

cupcakemama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama3 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 11:05am
post #4 of 4

Ditto ^^^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%