Fondant Discs On Cupcakes

Decorating By lnzlue Updated 4 Oct 2015 , 11:05am by cupcakemama3

lnzlue Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

Someone who was at a birthday party I made a cake for asked me to do her daughter's party which is the middle of this month, outdoors in Chicagoland area (to give an idea of climate). I am planning to make cupcakes with fondant discs on top.

My question is if I use a crusting buttercream recipe such as the Wilton one, will the discs be okay and not droop? I plan to put them on up to 6 hours before they will be eaten. Should they be okay? Tips, suggestions? Thank you!

3 replies
whitleyjean Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 4

Just a hobby baker here, but I think you will be fine as long as the fondant discs are "dried." I usually make mine a day or two ahead of time so they can stiffen up. I put a ring of buttercream on the cupcake wide as the fondant disc...so there is nothing extra hanging over. It sits on top nicely, and the buttercream supports it underneath.

Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 4

You can make the fondant discs as far ahead as you want.  You can also add a little cornstarch to make sure they dry firm and store them in a cardboard box to get them really dry.  If you want them to still have some chew to them you can store them in plastic containers.

cupcakemama3 Posted 4 Oct 2015 , 11:05am
post #4 of 4

Ditto ^^^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%