Settling A Topsy Turvy Question

Decorating By FrostedMoon Updated 2 Oct 2015 , 2:29am by maybenot

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!!

It's been a while since I've done a topsy turvy and I can't remember what I've done in the past.  I usually fill my cakes using a dam and let them settle for at least a couple of hours, then trim, crumb coat, yada yada from there.  

The problem with a topsy turvy is I need to carve the sides down so they are tapered.  If I fill with a dam, let them settle and then trim I'm cutting the dam off of at least some of the layers and exposing the possibility of filling bulges.   If I trim it and then fill and let it settle, I'll probably need to trim the sides again, yes? 

For the record, I'm only filling with vanilla american (50 butter/50 shortening) buttercream, but I usually dam anyway.  Once they are settle I cut the top on an angle and make them "topsy," so that part I don't have to worry about.

Can you tell I'm over thinking this?  What do you usually do if you usually let your cakes settle?

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 3

You're overthinking this. If you're only using icing as a filling you don't need a dam at all. Assemble the tier, give it a good press to squash out any air bubbles, let it settle if you want to, then carve it down. You'll be fine.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Oct 2015 , 2:29am
post #3 of 3

I don't make them often, either, so I refresh my memory with this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/20224/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%