Fake Cake For Showroom

Decorating By Natiflor09 Updated 30 Sep 2015 , 10:58pm by Natiflor09

Natiflor09 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I've been asked about making fake cupcakes and such for an event planning company. They have a showroom where they also rent out decoration items to clients and they want to display some of their trays and stands with cute petit fours and things like that. I saw the showroom and it's a gorgeous all glass window room on the 5th floor. Not to mention at 9,000 ft where I live, the sun is killer up here and I'm really concerned about fondant discoloring too quickly to last them long enough. Any suggestions on what I can do to preserve fondant exposed to lots of light? Or maybe ideas of other materials I could use? I've never worked with cold porcelain and I don't even know if it holds up to sunlight anyway. 

2 replies
cakedout Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 3

I've frosted cake dummies with spackle.  :)  And cold porcelain is just like working with gumpaste - although the texture is smoother I think. 

What about paper clay?  I work with this in doing my dollhouses....wonder if it might work?

*Last edited by cakedout on 30 Sep 2015 , 5:23pm
Natiflor09 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 3

Sorry, I dont know what spackle or paper clay is. :( Did you color the spackle? Does it last longer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%