Cake Bible Versus Baking Bible (Both By Rose Levy Barenbaum)

Baking By SweetCakesByAZ Updated 30 Sep 2015 , 6:03am by SweetCakesByAZ

SweetCakesByAZ Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 4

I’m trying to decide which book I’ll buy first, the Cake Bible or the Baking Bible—I’ll get both eventually, and while I’d like to get both now, I restrict myself to buying only 1 recipe book every few months). Genereally speaking, I’m looking more for info on the hows and whys of baking/cakemaking, not just good recipes, and I heard that these might give me that info (for example, learning about different types of leaveners, how/when to choose which kind and why).

If anyone has read or owns both, I’d really appreciate your advice! Again, I DON’T just want another recipe book (although I always love getting new, reliable and delicious recipes), I’m more looking for information that will explain basic recipe formulas to help me start to create my own recipes, rather than just modifying other peoples; 

If you have any thoughts, ideas or suggestions (or even another completely different author/book title), I’d love to hear them!

Thanks so much!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 4

i would recommend that you get a culinary school pastry book as a good solid basis for understanding cakes and leavening etc. -- when if you do get rlb's book tcb -- know that her take on leavening is not universally accepted and that there are other easier ways to do it -- there are a lot of better baking books out there --

best bakin to you

like professional baking by wayne gisslen

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 29 Sep 2015 , 2:41pm
rjcakes Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 4

I have both and I use the Cake Bible much more. It was one of my first cake cookbooks and I have read through every page. She has amazing scientific explanations for cakes, buttercreams, fillings, purees, etc. I used to use the base recipes in the back which are for scaling up - these base recipes works great. I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck!

SweetCakesByAZ Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 6:03am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much to both of you! In case I wasn’t completely clear in my original post, I meant I was especially interested in explanations/the ‘why’s, using leavening as an example, rather than being exclusively interested in types of leavening. 

K8 memphis, I hadn’t even thought about buying a baking textbook, so thank you for that—I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out.

And rjcakes, thanks so much for your respond on comparing the two—it was exactly what I was looking for. I’m going to get the Cake Bible, and leave the Baking Bible on my wish list.

If anyone else has ideas or thoughts about the Cake versus Baking Bible, I’d love to hear them.

Also, if you’ve used a baking textbook and liked it, I’d appreciate any title or author suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%