Chocolate Cake

Baking By minions Updated 30 Sep 2015 , 8:48pm by minions

minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 5:16am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys. 

I have been wanting to make a special cake for a long time now. but because im not experienced, i only use whip cream and chocolate ganache on my cakes. My parents don't really like butter cream that much so i guess i stopped making it. they said its too sweet. I want to make it sort of professional and a 3 chocolate cake.. but im not sure to do thing as added 'flavor' to frosting and such. What im thinking of is chocolate 3 layered cake and for the cream im thinking, fruit puree added with whip cream, or caramel flavour, or coffee. The problem is coffee is too generic, and caramel might come off as even more sweet with butter cream. And also i have no idea how to make proper fruit cream without it breaking apart ( i heard it does that) and i really want to make a chocolate cake. does anyone have any ideas on how to make this extravagant? and give me some recipe's or ideas doesnt have to be the ones im thinking? 

P.S: do any of you guys use Betty Crocker cake mixes? i used to use them a lot and they came off always perfect, but recently ive been using them again and it has a horrible texture to it. i bake the exact same way but it comes out as crumbly and really dry. Has anone noticed this? not that its related to this post but still ;) 

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 6:10am
post #2 of 4

Have you ever tried Swiss or Italian Buttercream?  They are lighter and less sweet than American Buttercream and take flavorings really well.  If you're doing a three layer cake how about fill one with coffee and the other with salted caramel.  You can call it a chocolate macchiato cake smiley.png. That automatically sounds more special!

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 4

Have you tried to make Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake?  It is as easy to whip up as a box mix and tastes much better. It is also has a light texture like a box mix does.  I chose to stop using box mixes because not only have they done something weird to the ingredients, they have also shrunk the mix so far down that you only get one decent layer from a box now. 

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/en-us/recipes/cakes-cupcakes/184/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake

Sometimes I add a pinch of cinnamon to my chocolate cakes.  That adds a really nice flavor to the chocolate and sort of cuts down on the sweetness.  

minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 4

I have not tried those types of butter cream, but i will now! and omg that combo actually sounds good, i never thought of that :D thanks!

No i have not tried hershey's, thanks for the link! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%