Help! Wedding Cake Delivery.

Business By cakesbyliane Updated 29 Sep 2015 , 8:04pm by cakesbyliane

cakesbyliane Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 8

I'm delivering my first ever wedding cake but the bride has asked for it to go to her father in laws who will then deliver to the venue. The question is how do I show the bride it was delivered in perfect condition? Should I take photos? Get the father in law to sign something? What's the protocol? Thanks for any advice

7 replies
amartin1900 Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 8

Yes,  put in contract that you only guarantee delivery to the father in law. Also attach detailed intruction for transporting. Be sure they sign before and he signs off on condition not design. take pictures and send to bride both before it leaves the shop for design purpose and in the vehicle of father in laws car. This should protect you. 

Singerssoul Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 8

I would say take photos as well as having the FIL sign something that states the cake arrived in perfect condition.  Did you have a line in your contract with her that you are not responsible for damage the occurs after your drop off?  If not, you should include that within the document the FIL signs, so in case his transportation damages the cake, you are not responsible for it.  

bakernoob Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 8

DEFINITELY take pictures of it's condition when you leave it with the FIL. It would also be smart to have him sign saying it was in perfect condition when delivered and that he is now responsible for the cake's well being. As amartin1900 said too be sure to give them details on how to transport. Assume they know absolutely nothing about how to handle it.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 8

what is the reason she needs this done -- is the venue real far away or something -- a scheduling thing maybe -- 

do you know how to package up the cake for best results? 

smile22 Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 8

I wouldn't do this I would say due to contract I can only deliver to final destination sorry 

cakedout Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 8

I would have to agree with smile22 - I would absolutely decline this offer unless distance was a huge factor....then I would take the advice of the others and write it up in your contract and take pics and be sure to instruct your client on how to deliver & handle it correctly. Written instructions might even be called for!

cakesbyliane Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%