Buttercream Overhang After Using Acrylic Discs

Decorating By Brasilianbaker Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:31pm by CatherineGeorge

Brasilianbaker Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 1:58am
post #1 of 15

Has anyone used acrylic discs Where it gives you 1/4-1/2 inch of extra buttercream, so there is an overhang of buttercream?  I want to know if anyone has had problems stacking a cake like this?  Any problems with the excess buttercream?

14 replies
Nancylou Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 4:13am
post #2 of 15

I think leah_s answered this question in your earlier post:

I agree with her that without anything to support the weight of the excess buttercream, you're just asking for trouble.   I use the acrylic discs a lot and the buttercream/ganache never goes beyond the cake board, which for me is the same size as the acrylic discs.  Is there a reason you want the buttercream to go beyond the support of the cake board?

*Last edited by Nancylou on 28 Sep 2015 , 4:24am
CatherineGeorge Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 11:56am
post #3 of 15

I do this and haven't had a problem. 

Brasilianbaker Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 15

Catherine, you fondant a cake with excess buttercream and have had no problems?  Just clarifying.  I was thinking that with a crusting buttercream, there shouldn't be a problem but wanted to talk with others about this!

Brasilianbaker Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 15

Nancylou, I don't nessecarily want express buttercream, I just want a smooth cake and thought that the acrylics would help be attain this.  No matter what I've tried, my fondant hardly ever comes out smooth despite me trimming the cake to be a little smaller then the cake board.  I'm just trying to figure out a good method and thought I'd give the discs a try

CatherineGeorge Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 15

That's correct. I use a meringue buttercream. That said, I wouldn't expect a big difference in smoothness with using discs vs two cake boards and trimming back the cake. I just find the discs a little easier, I guess because they're thicker and rigid. Probably a foam board would be the same. I keep the cake chilled and move it around on a bigger board to support the edges until I stack it.

Brasilianbaker Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 15

Do you fondant and still chill?  I need to spray paint the cake and am worried about condensation.  I could see it being easy to stack with it chilled.  Do you ever cut your boards or just the excess isn't a big deal?  Ty for all your help and guidance

Nancylou Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 15

Ah, OK ... I thought you meant having an overhang of buttercream 1/4" - 1/2" beyond the cake board - once you're finished with the discs and have removed them.  I think I understand now.

If you want a smooth surface for your fondant, then I highly recommend the acrylic discs - they are so worth it.  Also, I think you should consider using ganache under your fondant instead of buttercream.  Ganache will hold its shape much better than buttercream once it comes back to room temperature.  I still put buttercream in between each layer as a yummy filling, but I always ganache the outside.

You don't need to cut your cake board if it is the same size as the acrylic disc.  In fact you can use your cake board in place of the bottom acrylic disc, then you really only need one disc on top - the end result will be the same.  I hope that makes sense.

Brasilianbaker Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 15

Nancylou, the acrylic discs are 1/2" larger then cake board... 8.5", 10.5".. etc.  I was reading and watching youtube videos and various articles online that encourage the acrylic discs to be a little larger then the cakeboard.  I know this is a confusing topic as its hard to convey everything typing vs being able to talk with someone!

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2015 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 15

I've seen the videos and they always involve one cake, single tier. I know people who use the acrylic boards for ganache or buttercream, and they make sure the cake board is the same size as the acrylic board, especially if they're going to stack.

If you're making a cake in an 8-inch pan, the cake will surely be at least 1/4 inch smaller when it comes out of the oven? Then you buy an 8-inch acrylic disk that matches your 8-inch board and you have no problems? Some people even trim the cake a little if they want more buttercream. I think it's scary that there's buttercream floating, especially if it's half an inch.

I got acrylic boards here since they had all kinds of sizes. Some of those boards came with a hole in the center for a dowel, or to align the discs with the cake.

Nancylou Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 1:23am
post #11 of 15

I thought I had seen all the tutorials on acrylic boards  - who knew?  I just looked up some more current videos and found what you all are talking about. Apparently this is a thing.  My acrylics are all sized to go with my cake boards, so I will stick with what I have been doing.

I do think you should do a test run first just to be on the safe side.

Brasilianbaker Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 15

Ladies, this is the official answer from cakesafe: 

"I understand your question and the answer is, you don't need to cut a special cardboard the size of the cake with the extra buttercream and or fondant. 

What I do with tiered cakes is place each finished tier on a larger cardboard disk (any size as long as it's larger) until I'm ready to stack my cake and I usually refrigerate the individual cakes before tiering them up. Then I remove the tier from the larger disk and just place it on the dowels in the tier underneath. The top tier just rests on the bottom tier and so on as I tier the whole cake.

If you have a space between tiers and they're not stacked directly on top of one another, then I probably would put a cake board under that tier so the edge is supported. 
Once the cake has been refrigerated, the buttercream will stay firm, especially if its a Swiss or Italian Meringue buttercream."

crnewbold Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 2:53am
post #13 of 15

I bought a set of the 1/2" bigger disks but haven't stacked or fondant-covered with them yet.  I personally do not like to trim my cakes (too lazy and don't like the extra mess), and using the same-size cake board sometimes let's cake show through in spots.  I also wanted to try some texture combs so I wanted the generous buttercream buffer zone.  

Nothing to add, just watching this thread with interest. 

julia1812 Posted 30 Sep 2015 , 8:43am
post #14 of 15

"Then I remove the tier from the larger disk and just place it on the dowels in the tier underneath. The top tier just rests on the bottom tier and so on as I tier the whole cake."

Sounds to me like a medieval torchour technique satisfied.png

CatherineGeorge Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:31pm
post #15 of 15

The site won't let me post! I guess because I'm not selling Black Magic. 

Anyway I do as the cake safe response described and it works for me. Another thing I like about it is that it's easy to add height to a tier with 1" styrofoam rounds - sometimes I want a 6"ish tier but slices that big are not workable. I even used a dummy once to make a double barrel tier when I didn't need that much cake but wanted the scale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%