Help With Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By samho21 Updated 27 Sep 2015 , 7:45pm by craftybanana2

samho21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samho21 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for my nephew's birthday (minion themed), but will be out of the country for the actual party and will need to make the cake a few days ahead. My sister-in-law doesn't like the taste of fondant, and our freezer won't fit a huge cake.. I was thinking of covering the cake in modelling chocolate instead (this will be my first time working with modelling chocolate). Can i store the MC covered cake in the fridge? And for how long? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 5

i love modeling choco because you can smooth things out with the heat from your fingertips -- i mean you can add whole entire blobs to an area if needed -- 

no worries on storing in the fridge for a few -- done it many times -- wrap it very well in several layers so no smells can permeate 'cause they will if you're not careful -- i mean for family a few days in there would be ok  like maybe 4-5 at most? 2-3 much better though --

when you make the mc have your corn syrup about the same temp as the completely melted choco -- not hot as heck chocolate melted chocolate -- mix it on purpose -- then get ready to back off because it sets up -- leave it alone to cure for a few -- then knead it before you use it -- if oil separates out you can knead it back in or discard it either way --

best to you

samho21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samho21 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

thank you so much! another question about modelling chocolate... a lot of posts I've read have used either candy melts or real chocolate.. is it possible to combine both when making MC? I've never tried it but I've read that many people don't like the taste of candy melts... thanks 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

yes you can use both -- i have a pretty good palette -- i use kroger candy coating for this -- i mean you're mixing it with corn syrup and it becomes this whole other entity that still melts in your mouth -- frankly i would not put much weight on those who don't like them -- i've prepared for master chefs and they don't know, can't tell, don't care, are busy enjoying their day etc. -- it's used in combination with a cake and filling -- it's great! no worries seriously --

y'know if you're going for an mof, meilleur ouvrier de france -- get you some good chocolate -- if you're making your nephew happy -- give yourself a break --

the big deal is one is made with vegetable oil and the chocolate is made with cocoa butter -- so the difference is negligible in this medium --

if you want to spruce it up add some vanilla powder is my suggestion -- i know king arthur flour has it -- maybe williams sonoma if you are in the states --

and again if you are in the states -- walmart is the best place to get the candy melts/almond bark whatever you call it -- i use kroger candy coating -- works great 

remember let it melt -- don't rush it

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 27 Sep 2015 , 7:24pm
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 5

Candy melt taste is up to each person. I'm okay with it, but my sister's mother in law loves the stuff, she saw my chocolate buttons and started munching saying how it was the best chocolate she's had.... I told her those were for coating things and not real chocolate. She didn't care, ha ha, Note to self: don't leave chocolate on the counter at my sister's house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%