My Very First Cake Commission...

Decorating By Bexi Updated 26 Sep 2015 , 5:33pm by Apti

Bexi Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 10:40am
post #1 of 6

I've always been overly interested in cake decorating, baking, and all that. Problem is, I'm a graphic designer, so it's not what I get paid to do.

A friends wedding was coming up, and their cake decorator cancelled. They planned on going without a cake, but I had offered to make one for them provided they understood that this was my first attempt and first time doing something so extravagant.

I've only ever really baked small things, little basic birthday cakes, cupcakes, etc. This is a 3 tiered cake, bottom layer being a cookies and cream cake, middle being salted caramel, and the top being smores (graham cracker cake and dark chocolate with marshamallow buttercream).

The leaves were made out of gum paste, painted/textured with edible paints and stuff.

I really hope to do more in the future, I have to admit that taking on a wedding cake as your first "job" is incredibly intimidating.

Some pictures, of course.

*Last edited by Bexi on 26 Sep 2015 , 10:42am
5 replies
Shockolata Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 10:47am
post #2 of 6

A very good effort for your first time! The more you do, the more addicted you get to making lovely things out of cake and sugar :)

Callicious Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 10:50am
post #3 of 6

We all remember and fondly cherish our first cakes.. Well done, it's lovely. With your graphics background, I'm sure you'll add your artistic flair to your future creations. 

Well done!! 

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 11:33am
post #4 of 6

clap.png wow great job on your first --

welcome to the club of cake makin' mania

one of the hopelessly addicted

Jinkies Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 6

Oh, you caught the cakin' bug...good job!  It seems a lot of cakers were once graphic designers.  It's a great medium for artists.

Apti Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

What all of them said--Well done!   

Welcome.  Start cutting back on your other optional expenses like food, clothing, 401K's, mortgage payments, car payments, etc.   You're going to need that money to buy cake stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%