Friday Night Cake Club For 9/25/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 27 Sep 2015 , 2:20am by Webake2gether

catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 6:34am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone! I had to work tonight so here I am, finally, at 11:30pm, starting cake club! Hope you guys all had wonderful weeks! Hope we get some new people to join us in our little weekly gathering! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

12 replies
MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 7:54am
post #2 of 13

Hello Cat, there were a couple of new techniques that I tried this month.  Putting fondant on the board and surprise surprise - it made the nice ribbon fit much better.  Attempted drapes on the side of the cake, didn't make them wide enough, live and learn from experimenting.  Also tried  black Fondx and it worked out pretty well.  It really taste good for some reason, and it rolled out and molded easily.  Tried a new technique for making carnations with cookie cutters.  Lots of improvement to come in the future, fingers crossed.  They won't post here, but they made it to my page.   Love your travel photos, wish I had your photography skills!!

*Last edited by MBalaska on 26 Sep 2015 , 8:02am
julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 8:50am
post #3 of 13

@MBalaska  your picture isn't showing ...Unless it's because I use a mobile phone. ..

@catlharper  Hi to you  after a long while. Had a crazy spring. Husband got a new job and I'm handling the kids alone as he's working abroad. And made a ton of cakes in my "free time"...Yikes! Then sort of switched my brain off being on holiday, lol. But back now and in full swing. Just popped in quickly to show you some LEGO cupcakes I made. Was scared when I got the order as I can't purchase the molds here...then figured I can  easily make my own molds with leftover fondant and lots of cmc :) Actually working just now at a mermaid cake where I used homemade molds to Form the shells. Might post a picture later...

Hope you are all good and settled into your new home (am I still up to date? Think to remember you planned on moving house, right?)?

SweetShop5 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 11:34am
post #4 of 13

Hi everyone!

I couldn't take on many orders this week because I just found out that there's a cake convention in Toronto, so I'm currently there right now! I'm going for the first time today and I'm beyond excited! Hopefully it will be worth the drive!

But before I left, I took on one order and made a cake for my dads birthday.

Here are some bow tie and hair bow cookies I made for a gender reveal party:

And my dads birthday cake, it's his favourite soccer team:

@catlharper  Hopefully you get to relax all day today!

@julia1812  Great job on the cupcakes! They look amazing.

Webake2gether Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 13

Looks like everyone had a great week!! I didn't bake much just some brownies for a get together. We had two inspections this week for our commercial kitchen (mechanical and plumbing) and passed both. We are having our final inspection from the health dept. on Tuesday so we are finishing up the kitchen today....yay!! We've been working and studying for our sanitation class that we are taking Monday. I think we'll be taking orders next week!!! Finally lol  long time coming :)

julia1812 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 13

5606c98389000.jpeg...and here's the cake...

It's 30°C or more right now and I was worried since it's an all smbc cake. But held up nicely for the 2 hours it was displayed :)

*Last edited by julia1812 on 26 Sep 2015 , 4:36pm
catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 13

Good morning everyone!

@julia1812  Hope you get that cake to post!! I've been tempted to make homemade molds but have not really "had" to do it yet. Your legos look amazing! Holding down the fort while a spouse is away isn't a fun thing to do. My hubby use to travel for work so I'd be left for weeks at a time with the kids only to have him come back for a week and be off again. It's a very hard thing to do!

And, yes, we moved house and we LOVE it here! I go to the beach at least once a week, am surrounded by all of my kids/grandkids on almost a daily basis and, for the most part, the weather is SO much better here than were we use to live. It will be a "hot" one today at the high of 81. I'll take that over 101 any day! We moved from an apartment to a house with a huge back yard so the kids can play outside. Top it off our 14 yr old son LOVES his new school and has gone from a D student to a B student. So it's been a marvelous change. I got a part time job at Target and am doing so well I've actually had to talk to them about giving me too many hours. Last night was day one of 6 in a row. Oy. But I love working there and the people I work with (for the most part) and it's not a hard job. So, yes, all is very well.

@MBalaska  Yes, draping looks great but it's a math long to make the drapes so that they evenly go around the cake but still all drape the same length and look "drapey" enough. But they do look wonderful! By "Made it to my page" do you mean your album here or??? Please do let us know so we can see too!

Thank you for the compliment on my photography. If anyone here is wondering you can see my stuff on Instagram under Shutterbugtraveler. You don't have to have IG on your can see it by going to . It was one of the reasons we moved here, so I could work more. My hopes are to have it up to a business when our son graduates in 4 years so I'm building up a presence online and building a portfolio again. I use to do it professionally when the girls were kids but then, when Jack was born, moved to other artistic ventures, like cake design!

@SweetShop5  I am envious! There have been no cake conventions anywhere close to me! I'd love to go just to see all of the creations. Hope you have a wonderful time! And speaking of creations...both of yours were great this week! The bows are just perfection. Very clean lines on what is a complicated cake. Hope you are taking photos! And, no, no total rest today...I work the next 5 days. Short shifts but no break till Thursday.

@Webake2gether  SOOOO exciting!!! I know you can't wait till your kitchen is open and ready for business! Please do post photos if you get a chance!! Have a GREAT week!

Hope to see more photos (or find out how to go see them) later today!

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

@catlharper   here's the links to this weeks cakes.  I managed to get them on my CC home page. Baby Steps for me in decorating. However as I've had electronics crashes all week I'm lucky I even got photos of my mad experiments.  I could never made a living in cake decorating, it's just not that easy for this old gal. It's fun to enjoy everyones elses creations.

@julia1812  those are brilliant decorations!! made from your own molds, amazing........

@SweetShop5  your piping on those cookies is really neat, what a steady hand.  The cake for your dad is fabulous!! and it reminds me of how great a cake board covered in fondant can be.  So glad that you posted this cake

@Webake2gether  Best Wishes on your shop!!

catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 13

@MBalaska  Both of them are beautiful but I really LOVE the black one! SO dramatic!

cara1982 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 13

An 18th 40th and 60th birthday themed cake. This was a new one on me! 

catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 13

@cara1982  LOVE this SO much! My favorite is the stage but all three cakes are wonderful!!!

SweetShop5 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 13

@catlharper  Thank you Cat! I just got back from the show and it was SO MUCH FUN! I bought so much supplies because everything was discounted. 6 tubs of fondant haha! The car is gonna be so full when we go home tomorrow. 

I'm sad I only found out about this convention this year, it's been happening for the last 5 years. If you ever get the chance to attend one, don't hesitate, it's definitely worth it!

@MBalaska  Thank you so much! My hand was actually shaking so much since I had to use stiff royal icing but I still managed to get steady lines somehow haha! I agree about the cake board! I didn't use to cover them at all but now I do it all the time. It ties everything together so nicely.

Webake2gether Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

56075288a7947.jpegSneak peak more pics are on the "taking the plunge" thread

great work everyone can't wait to bake again lol 

Quote by @%username% on %date%