Too Much Liquid In A Wasc Cake

Baking By tidbitmoore Updated 27 Sep 2015 , 7:11am by tidbitmoore

tidbitmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tidbitmoore Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a two tier 8" chocolate WASC cake for a friend on short notice. My small KitchenAid stand mixer will only do a half recipe, so one box, at a time. On the first box, I accidentally added 1/3 cup more liquid. Should I just start over, which means a trip to the store or is there a way to fix it so it matches the other layer which is made correctly?

3 replies
erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 1:08am
post #2 of 4

just make another box with 1/3 c less liquid and mix the 2 batches together.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry I didn't see they sooner but............

Are you making 2 *layers* of cake into *1* 4" tall 8" round cake?  They why are you using 2 cake mixes?  If you use my *original* WASC recipe you can get two 8" layers from one box of mix. 

Also, 1/3 cup extra liquid should not really hurt the cake at all.  As the other poster said you could reduce the liquid in the 2nd batch and mix the two batches together.  It might take a few minutes extra to bake if you can't do that.  I've used extra liquid a time or two with out problems.

tidbitmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tidbitmoore Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 7:11am
post #4 of 4

Yes, I was making  two 8" layers, plus a bunch of cupcakes.  I've had the recipe for a while.  It calls for two boxes of mix, plus all the add ins.  My stand mixer won't do all that.  I've only got the little KitchenAid, which makes combining a correct and an incorrect recipe difficult.  I can only do one box with it's half of the add ins at a time.  I've tried doing only one box and it never seems to be quite enough batter.   I was trying to see if I could correct the incorrect batch without a trip to the store since I was asked to make this cake with about a days notice and was running short on time.  That would also give me 3 boxes of mix plus all the add ins, so TONS of batter. I ended up mixing the remaining correct batter with the incorrect batter.  That layer took an extra 7-10 minutes to cook and was still a little too moist.  Very crumby.  Tasted fine and I put it on the top, so I wouldn't have issues with the bottom layer falling.  I would still like to know if it's possible to fix a mistake like this since I can totally see myself doing this again.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%