Mickey Hat Topper

Decorating By sweetlinxo Updated 27 Sep 2015 , 5:43am by sweetlinxo

sweetlinxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlinxo Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a Mickey cake for my nephew as a gift, I've been looking EVERYWHERE for the half styrofoam ball in 6" because it's gonna go on a 8" cake but unfortunately the sizes here at our Walmart and craft stores are too small. I found one on Amazon but unfortunately it's for add-on items only! Any suggestions on where I could buy, or other options on how to make it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

6 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 1:39am
post #2 of 7

Either cut a whole ball in half or you could use rice crispy treats.  Just shape them in a bowl.  It will be more work though as you'll need to shape and smooth it for fondant.  

Laura @ Krazy Kool Cakes has a video tutorial of a Mickey hat on youtube and she used one of those wand irons (I have no idea what you call it) to cut a round Styrofoam ball in half.  I've seen them at craft stores near the styrofoam balls.  I think that would be the easiest.   I'm not sure if you could cut one with a knife or some sort of hack saw, maybe, but maybe it would crumble-I don't know.

Otherwise, you could make a six inch cake and carve it.

sweetlinxo Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 3:15am
post #3 of 7

That's a lot of great ideas, thanks for sharing. I also found a floral form that is in the shape and size I need, however I've never used one of those before, do you think that would work as well? @Jinkies  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

You mean one of those green ones?  I'm not sure because those tend to crumble really easily and give off a lot of dust.  I suppose you could try it and see if it works but I would rather use the styrofoam myself.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 26 Sep 2015 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 7

I've tried floral foam before bc I had the same issue with finding the right size. I would have preferred styrofoam but we were eventually able to get it covered in fondant  in hindsight I would have probably tried covering it in a different way or just made a cake and carved it down. 

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7

Can you just bake a 6" cake, either in a ball pan or just carve a half ball from round layers? Sometimes it's just easier to scrap the harder-to-find plan and go with what you already have.  Might just be faster to bake the half ball than continue to keep searching for something easier.  Just my thoughts.  My second choice would be the RKT.

sweetlinxo Posted 27 Sep 2015 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

Good news I finally found the half ball I was looking for, the search is over. Thanks all for your help! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%