Bride In Hospital!!

Decorating By eddiep Updated 25 Sep 2015 , 11:23pm by maybenot

eddiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eddiep Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 6

I just completed a cake for a wedding tomorrow and the maide of honor called and told me the bride is in icu!! They are not sure if she will be released in time for the wedding.... Can the cake be frozen? I have already put fondant on it with royal icing dots

5 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, it can be frozen.  Type "freezing decorated cakes" in the search box above and then click on forum.  There are a bunch of threads that come up on that subject.  I've never done it but several people on here have frozen completely done cakes with great success.

Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 6

for going forward -- whenever i have a consult i tell them i am one person -- i do not have facilities to store their cake for them if something should come up -- that the wedding taking place is not a contingency for the cake being made/delivered as ordered -- invite some peeps have a party fill freezers whatever -- i say right out i'm not a bakery where i can absorb this for them if it came up and more than nine times out of ten it never does -- it's very rare --

in this case i hope the bride is going to be ok and i hate very much that this happened to put her out of commission --

but still yet i could not back track nor hold her cake two days before the delivery date -- so that's why that's part of my spiel at a consult -- an idea for you and for whosoever to add into your consults if you want --

i once was thankfully by passed to do the cake/s for the daughter of the pastor of a medium sized church -- they wanted me to be thrilled that i was chosen but the thrill was gone when they got my quote -- they wanted tier cake in two locations and bladeebladeeblablabla -- day before the wedding -- the. day. before. he jilts her -- backs out of the whole thing -- the whole church was invited -- it woulda been heck to deal with those particular people they would want refunds and no they would not get them but i missed that bullet/gatling gun --

it does happen once in a blue moon

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 25 Sep 2015 , 4:50pm
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 6

Definitely put a whole bunch of stuff in your contract about every single thing that could come up to cancel a wedding and what you would do about it. I've had several weddings over 20 years doing wedding cakes that were cancelled at the last minute with the cake made and paid for. You have to have policies in place so that people can't expect you to store the cake or make them another one for free!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 6

As the others have mentioned freeze it.  If you don't have the room then it is up to the bride (family/attendants) to care for it.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

Absolutely make sure that you've been paid in full for the cake, and THEN decide how things will be handled.

Yes, the cake can be frozen, either fully assembled or in individual boxes. 

Box cake in a cardboard box. Wrap box in saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Place in freezer.  24 hrs. before delivery/serving, place still wrapped box in fridge.  A few hours before delivery/serving, place still wrapped box on counter to come to room temp.  Condensation will go to the cardboard box & not the cake.  Right before delivery/serving remove wrapping.

If possible, I'd keep it in my own freezer, but I've had clients freeze & defrost according to these instructions and everything went fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%