First Fondant Project

Decorating By fitchickbaker Updated 25 Sep 2015 , 5:06pm by -K8memphis

fitchickbaker Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hey there!

I am undertaking my first fondant cake this weekend (and am SUPER excited about it) and I want to make sure I do it right. I have baked the cake layers ahead of time and frozen them. I have also made the buttercream frosting and put it in an airtight container in the fridge (I made the frosting yesterday and plan to finish the cake Saturay morning before the party which is Saturday afternoon). I plan on making the fondant Saturday morning and putting it in an airtight container in the fridge to chill while I cut out and frost the cake.

Then, this is where I am unsure of how to proceed. Would it be best to chill the cake in the freezer so the frosting can harden a bit but not for so long that the cake becomes frozen again and is then compromised? I really want this to turn out well.

Also, for my cake board, I am planning on covering a large piece of heavy cardboard with tin foil. Is this a good plan?

I am open to any and all suggestions/tips anyone has!!

Thank you so much!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 8

you'll need the fondant at room temp or warmer even in order to be able to roll it out -- but if it's marshmallow f then let it come to room temp before rolling or re-warming -- the gelatin needs to cure  --

i can never figure out why people don't freeze their cakes already filled because then you only have one big messy mess --

contrary to popular belief double freezing things especially cake does not compromise them -- but yes having the cake cold is one way to apply fondant -- but not cold fondant --

tin foil isn't bad -- a nice Wilton foil would be prettier, more upscale -- some use florist foil but it is not food safe -- Wilton foil is food safe -- never put cake directly onto wrapping paper or anything that's not specifically marked "food safe" --

this is where i re-read your post and started to freak out because i thought today was friday -- omg -- no it's thursday right? omg had a brief heart attack --

hey you need to cover this puppy tomorrow -- you need time time time time time -- it may go easy and flawless but you need no deadlines abusing you mentally while you do this - no no no no no accelerate your schedule -  make your fondant today! cover the cake tomorrow!

i need a valium :)

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 24 Sep 2015 , 1:58pm
annakat444 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 8

My best advice is to make a test batch of your fondant and cover some dummies with it so that you know if it's a workable recipe for your climate. Also I would not refrigerate the fondant at all. If you make it ahead of time, wrap it really well several times in saran wrap and put in a ziploc bag with all the air removed.

julia1812 Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 8

Exactly that ^^^

And my gelatin fondant needs to rest (at room temperature) for at least 12 hrs. Which fondant are you making? 

Still remember my first fondant An hour past by like a minute. ..ugh.  You don't want this stress. Make the fondant today (or Friday morning if it's mmf), cover the cake etc and chill the cake in a box in the fridge till Saturday is my advice. 

ropalma Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with julia1812.  I always finish my project the day before.

Magda_MI Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with others.  You do NOT want to be covering your first cake with fondant on the day of the party, and you want the fondant at room temperature.

I personally like to get the cake filled and crumb coated, let it sit at room temp overnight to settle, and then ice it and cover it with fondant (I don't find I need to chill them first..which is good since i don't have a big enough fridge to do so).  That way I don't need to worry about trapped air expanding as it warms up and causing bubbles under the fondant.

fitchickbaker Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 2:13am
post #7 of 8

OMG you guys are angels!!!  Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!  I will frost and fondant tomorrow then cover and leave at room temperature.  I have tried a batch of the fondant and it is fabulous so I am not too worried about it not being okay to work with. Do you guys have any other suggestions?  I am so excited to finish this project.  

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

angel.png angel.png angel.png angel.png angel.png 

Quote by @%username% on %date%