Managing Multiple Locations

Business By thecakeladyzh Updated 24 Sep 2015 , 11:05pm by -K8memphis

thecakeladyzh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeladyzh Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

Business is growing wonderfully and demand far outweighs supply! We have decided to open a second location and are now deciding how we will manage orders in terms of production and finishing. We preceive our options as the following.

A. Produce cake and decorations at location A and distribute at location B

B. Split production of parts between locations A and B then bring parts together according to the pick up location

C. Produce at both cakes and decorationsbetween location A and B

Question: Dear multiple location owners, how do you run the logistics of YOUR company?

Thank you in advance

The Cake Lady

www.thecakelady.ch

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 4

will location b have someone reliable/responsible enough to produce and be built out enough to handle the work -- in other words can you clone your leadership and your current  facility --

thecakeladyzh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeladyzh Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 4

Great question K8memphis,

At this point I plan to manage one location while my husband manages the other. We have been working on a process that does "clone" my leadership and standards. I'm just wondering if someone has experience in these matters???

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 4

i don't have experience owning a multi location business - i have experience working for food establishments with more than one location -- 

just in my experience -- it seems to me it goes well when ultimate leadership is retained by one person/family -- and also when goods are exchanged quid pro quo doughnuts from doughnut shop for brownies/cookies from the bakery for example --where each one exchanges their best speciality --

where I saw it go way off course was when it was equal partnership partners and one partner was nearly a flake -- regularly missed deadlines and screwed people, employees and orders -- not a once and for all fail a slow bleed -- just a general disregard for doing it right and being honorable -- even in a family the more responsible one will do more in anticipation of making up for the slower less energetic/responsible family member -- 

so I guess the most important single factor is the integrity and shared vision of those in charge -- as well as the ability of the leader/s to lead as in inspire -- when you spread out you gotta delegate more --

so it's removing the rose colored glasses and doing some fair and frank assessments then capitalizing on the individual strengths as they relate to the agreed upon vision --

best to you -- how exciting 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%