Mini Cakes

Baking By imaan Updated 24 Sep 2015 , 11:18am by Shockolata

imaan Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 2:23am
post #1 of 10

HI, I have to make 100 2 1/2" or 3" mini naked cakes and am just wondering what the best way to go about making these are. I have previously made some using a big slab of butter cake and cutting out the individual layers but i would like the edges to have a nice brown colour. I am wondering if its best to buy Individual Medium Round Cake Tin Set of 16 by Silverwood, these are just rings that come on a tray or would it be better to buy some tins that have a base. I am worried that the rings will leak the batter.

9 replies
julia1812 Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 4:37am
post #2 of 10

I've never done naked mini cakes, but I would probably make sheet cakes, fill and stack them and then cutting rounds with a 3" cutter (don't know the specific name but you know those metal sort of cylinders). Whipe between each cut and you should get nice clean edges. 

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 9:27am
post #3 of 10

I'd cut them from larger cakes as well.  You could do them with the mini-tin set but make sure you charge enough.  The process of lining and greasing all of them will take donks!

AAtKT Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 10:00am
post #4 of 10

Please Please Please tell us you are charging at least $7 to $10 (or more) EACH for these... 

Mini cakes are a pain to do, but at least if you get a rhythm going they can be faster...

You said you are doing them naked?  They are going to potentially dry out faster because they are smaller... Keep that in mind...

Jinkies Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 10

Oh couldn't pay me enough to do that.  Agree with the others though, I'd use the sheet cake and cutter.

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 10

Your saving grace here is that they are NAKED!  It's trying to perfectly ice or cover them that becomes the headache.  I agree the most expedient thing to do is to bake sheets and cut.  To use any kind of formed small pans... think about having to wash and regrease them over and over again.  Not my idea of a good time!

Shockolata Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 10

Do NOT buy the Silverwood multi cake pans. They LEAK! It will be a waste of money and time. Go with the sheet cakes and use cutters to cut the exact size you need. I don't know why you would want the cakes to look darker. If you enjoy a darker cake, do a chocolate cake! Or do a vanilla cake and use some food colouring. Lots of options! Good luck.

imaan Posted 23 Sep 2015 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for your responses. I think I will stick to the sheet cake. I have heard I should freeze the sheet before cutting it to make it easiar

Baking 100 mini cakes would be a nightmare. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 1:44am
post #9 of 10

Yes, definitely firm up the cake in the freezer to get clean cuts.

Shockolata Posted 24 Sep 2015 , 11:18am
post #10 of 10

I had great results with a good cutter and a cooled cake and as the cakes are only so small, then it is easy to cut them in half horizontally. If you try to cut one and you find it difficult, then freeze or chill the cake but try first before you invest more time than absolutely necessary. It all depends on what mix you are using, i.e. scratch or box. Box mixes work for me fine as they seem to be more cohesive despite being spongier. Also there are two ways to do things: 1) tort and fill slab cake, chill and then cut the individual cakes from it or 2) cut and tort individual cakes then fill and chill. If you are going for a decorative fill like I used in my Whirling Dervish cakes, then use method 2. Here is a pic: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%