Cupcake Toppers "wilted" In The Wilton Cupcake Box Favor Kits

Decorating By Monicas Cakes Updated 21 Sep 2015 , 11:43pm by GoWildCakes

Monicas Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2015 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I made some wedding cupcake recently with heart toppers and buttercream icing. I packaged them individually in the Wilton cupcake boxes. It took hours! I finished at 2am and went to bed. All looked great that am and the bride was due to pick up the cupcakes that afternoon at 4pm for here wedding the following am. Well at 3pm that day after getting home from work I discovered that all my toppers had wilted! The toppers were made from gum paste *not fondant* and set them dry for a week prior to placing them on the cupcakes. What did I do wrong? I had never had this happen to me before BUT this is also the first time I have used the wilton boxes. Normally I use cardboard cupcake boxes or clamshells for packaging. Please help. I don't ever want this to happen again.

By the way, the bride was very understanding, I scrapped all the icing and toppers off, re-iced the cupcakes and we nixed the toppers to replaced them with silver dragees. The bride picked up the cupcakes later that evening and everything turned out well but I was so embarrassed and felt totally unprofessional because of my lack of knowledge that this would happen.

56006a4093cba.jpeg

56006a412ef9a.jpeg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cupcake-Box-Favor-Kit-20-pkg/24633806?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=24633806&placement_id=irs-106-m2&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=beb689d4-2662-4c1e-a309-64e5df75c4b8&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=26632856&parent_anchor_item_id=26632856&guid=8bd24b4f-0d39-4333-b6f7-d6656fb5a365&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

*Last edited by Monicas Cakes on 21 Sep 2015 , 8:36pm
1 reply
GoWildCakes Posted 21 Sep 2015 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 2

So sorry this happen to you.  It happend to me once too.

I think it's because the butter cream is moist and softens the gum paste.  Mine did it in a plastic cup cake container too.  I think we need to let them be exposed to a little air until just before delivery.  That would explain why it didn't do it in a cardboard container. 

Mine was for a retirement party for a dear friend.  I had over 100 cupcake representing all the characters from The Wizard of Oz.  I discovered mine the morning of the event and opened all the containers right away.  I did a little manipulating and most ended up not looking too terribly bad by the time I set up the display. 

Hope this helps you. Better luck next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%