Help.. First Naked Cake!!

Baking By tessholly1 Updated 22 Sep 2015 , 1:36am by ladyonzlake

tessholly1 Posted 20 Sep 2015 , 11:06am
post #1 of 4

I have a bride wanting a 4 tier naked cake for her wedding next year so I'm doing so early research as Iv never made a 'naked' cake before.. If anyone could could help me out with a few questions I have, I would be soo grateful!! 1) I was thinking I would bake the cake the day before, then fill ten morning of.. I will take each tier separately and stack at the venue.. Is this the best option to keep it as fresh as possible?! 2) Should I use a sugar syrup on each layer when stacking?!.. Iv never used this before as I worry it would make the cake wet and soggy? 3) How soon before the reception should I set up the cake? I was thinking as late as possible so it's as fresh as can be, but the ceremony is in the room next door to the reception.. Ceremony starts at 3pm so should I stack at 2pm .. Or quietly stack while the ceremony is going on?? Any other tips would be great!! TIA :)

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Sep 2015 , 1:38am
post #2 of 4
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2015 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 4

As long as you wrap the tiers in plastic really well you don't have to be as worried about it drying out as you'd think. When I put tiers together and cut off the humps I toss them in a bowl for my family to eat. they usually sit there for a good 5-6 hours and they're not dried out so much that it affects the flavor or eat-ability. A naked cake isn't going to dry out as fast as people think unless the atmosphere is so dry it just sucks all the moisture out of the cake in a freakish way.

I did a naked cake a couple of weeks ago and just stacked it then wrapped the whole thing in a mummy wrapping of plastic wrap. It went into the fridge and I delivered it a few hours before the reception, unwrapped it, set up the fruit all over it, and it was fine. I didn't bother to do a sugar syrup or anything on it, but you can do that to add some extra moisture to the edges if you're really worried about it.

ladyonzlake Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 1:36am
post #4 of 4

I've done a couple of "naked" cakes.  I fill the day before, stack them and wrap plastic wrap around them and refrigerate.  The day of I keep in the refrigerator until delivery time, take the plastic off and off I go.  When I get to the reception I add my sugar flowers and I'm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%