Specialty Cake Flavor Pricing & Multi Cake/frosting Flavors In One Cake

Business By OHaresTstyTrts Updated 22 Sep 2015 , 1:52am by OHaresTstyTrts

OHaresTstyTrts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hey Everyone- I have a decent price structure that I follow with my business but I recently had some specialty cake flavors requested in a tasting. I would consider them "specialty" because they fall out of the realm of my normal offered flavors and require more ingredients/time etc. I was thinking of adding .50 cents per slice for any specialty cake flavors. What are peoples thoughts on that? I haven't found much on pricing when I google specialty cake flavor pricing. They just say to charge more. I usually go back to Buddy's articles on pricing but that isn't throughly addressed. What does everyone else do?

Second question- Do you and How much extra would you charge if someone wanted multiple cake/frosting flavors for their multi tiered wedding cake? I had consulted a cake friend recently about this and she said she didn't charge extra because she would be making multiple batches of batter anyway. I ended up not charging the bride extra for the two different cake flavors. But when making the cakes I realized I have a large enough mixer where I could have made all three tiers (one tier was a dummy) at the same time. It ended up taking me much longer to prep, bake, and clean that day. It was just a lot more work/ time and I wished I had charged her something for having multiple cake and frosting flavors. With that being said I haven't found pricing guidelines/advice for that online. One article I read said, "Yes, always charge extra" but I honestly am not sure what a reasonable amount to charge extra would be. Is it a percentage of the total cost of the cake? I know prices are based on demographic but if I had an idea of what others do, if they do anything, that would be helpful.

Thanks so much!

6 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 7

I don't charge extra for either.  When I figured out my pricing, I based it on my most expensive recipes/fillings.  So, in other words, my base price per serving will cover any flavor of cake/filling.  No one has ever asked why it's not cheaper if they opt for just a basic buttercream filling or no fondant.  I haven't charged more for different flavored tiers either because I just haven't felt the need.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that clients don't want to be nickled and dimed to death.  They don't like to hear that the price is going up with every little thing they add.  However, I do add on for things like cake toppers that may take a while or sugar flowers/gumpaste decorations that take extended time but not for the flavor of the cake or very basic decorations.  

Also, it's much easier and quicker for me to give quotes this way and clients appreciate that.  I don't want to have to design a cake from the inside out in order to give a quote.  Too much time to waste when they may or may not order.  3 tiered cake with this much decoration = this price, bada bing bada boom!

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

When a customer wants a premium cake flavor, I START at +$0.50 per serving. If they also want a premium filling/frosting, I START at +$0.50 per serving for that (so starting at +$1,50/serving for all three). I say starting because some premium flavors are more expensive and time consuming than others. I think one of the benefits of tiered cakes is that customers can choose different cake flavors per tier AND they are at a higher price point anyway (my rule being that cake and fillings can all be different but outside frosting is all the same). That being said, I do price each tier according to flavors/fillings and I think customers appreciate that. Obviously, design being a price factor as well. All of this customization is the main reason I list starting prices/serving only for custom cakes on my website, etc. and then each cake gets custom quoted since they are all so different.

When I first got started and was unsure, I would always estimate the time and cost of ingredients, etc. beforehand and then afterwards go back and compare how much time and ingredients, etc. it actually took. You may be off a time or two but you'll get the hang of it - tiered cake or not. HTH!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 7

I don't charge extra for different flavors, but if you do, 50cents per serving extra is pretty standard.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone for their input. It really was helpful! :)

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7

I have standard flavors and for my premium flavors I charge .35 per serving.  I also always suggest to my brides  who want a different flavor for each tier to keep it at 2 different flavors because their guests will want to try each flavor which will result in not having enough cake for everyone.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 1:52am
post #7 of 7

Oooo I like that suggestion! I may have to steal that from you. hahaha Thanks so much! @ladyonzlake  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%