Should I Consider A Wedding Cake A Gift?

Baking By Mazo611 Updated 19 Sep 2015 , 2:00pm by Mazo611

Mazo611 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mazo611 Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 2:09am
post #1 of 8

I agreed to make a wedding cake for my niece.  She had ordered mini-cheesecakes, but decided that she would also like a cake for cutting.  It was not in her budget to have both.  

After all is said and done, the supplies to make this cake (not including pans and tools, which I already had) is well over $100.   Now I wish I had told her from the beginning that this would be my gift to her, but I didn't say that....although I never indicated otherwise either.

i don't want to be tacky, but I'm feeling like this is what we would have spent on a gift.  

What would you do?  Should I give her a card and write something like "I was honored to make your cake"???

7 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 2:44am
post #2 of 8

There is nothing wrong with gifting a wedding cake; I'm gifting a wedding cake for my bff in two weeks. I did however start out with letting her know that was her wedding gift; it is difficult after the fact to do that but I do think you can tactfully do it. Maybe write in the card something along the lines of "I was so happy you both let me gift you a wedding cake. I glad I was able to be apart of your special day." Just something that makes it clear that 'the cake was your present'; but in the future you need to be clear from the start that, this cake is their gift. 

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 2:54am
post #3 of 8

@ Mazo611, I think that is a nice way to handle your situation. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 3:57am
post #4 of 8

What Gingerlocks said.  I recently did a graduation cake for a neighbor's daughter and said, "I would be honored if you would let me bake the celebration cake as my graduation gift to (insert name)". 

If I were you, I'd say to your niece, "Thank you for letting me have the honor of making your wedding cake as my wedding gift to you and your husband." 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 4:14am
post #5 of 8

@Apti  beautifully said !!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 8

what they said.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 8

an idea for the idea pot is to be sure the photographer gets a nice shot of you and the cake so you can have it framed for her --

then a twist on that -- when we went out west to do my niece's cake -- my sweet little sister (ok she's older but shorter -- take your pick there :) took pictures of the process and made a collage including a nice shot of the cake to give to me and it was a wonderful thank you --

cake picture thoughts for you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 19 Sep 2015 , 1:36pm
Mazo611 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mazo611 Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone!    

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%