I Don't Believe In Price Fixing, But Give Me A Break!

Business By ellavanilla Updated 22 Sep 2015 , 1:20am by ellavanilla

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:15am
post #1 of 7

i dunno, i guess this is just a rant. i was contacted about making a complicated, carved cake, which I don't create. I suggested a baker in the area who does make those types of cakes, and the customer's response, "i contacted them but they are too expensive. "

ugh. wrong in so many ways.

i'm not friends with the other baker, i don't even know them, but for goodness sake! i told him that the amount of time the cake he wanted justified the cost and then I gave him my per slice price for a tiered cake (his second choice), which is competitive, and signed off.

don't insult me, dude, and then ask me to work with you.

jen

6 replies
Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 4:02am
post #2 of 7

Wow!  :) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 7

not cool -- but dodged that bullet

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 12:37am
post #4 of 7

I had someone wanting a sculpted monster truck cake, 50 servings, 2 different flavors for $100.  People just don't get it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 12:39am
post #5 of 7

I think it is awesome that you justified the other baker price :)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2015 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 7

I never ventured much into carved cakes, but my favorite story along this line is the guy who called my shop at about 11 a.m. and wanted a cake carved like a Model-T Ford ..... for a dinner he was giving at 5pm that night!!!  I seriously burst out laughing and said, "Dude!  Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?"  Told him I didn't know anyone who could actually do it but he MIGHT check with blah-blah bakery.  He said, 'I did.  You are the 5th person to turn me down."  I said, "and what does that tell you?"

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Sep 2015 , 1:20am
post #7 of 7

I've gotten a lot of last minute calls recently. It makes me wonder if I've become some sort of last resort baker. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%