Chocolate Buttercream Conversion To Vanilla Buttercream

Decorating By sparkledee3 Updated 18 Sep 2015 , 9:58am by -K8memphis

sparkledee3 Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:02am
post #1 of 4

I saw this recipe in an old post on this site, made it and fell in love with it!!! Its so creamy and to me tastes like a chocolate milkshake (depending on the chocolate you use.)  Pipes and holds up beautifully!

I need to make 32 cupcakes tonight and want to use this Chocolate Buttercream recipe but in a vanilla version. Is it as simple as leaving out the chocolate? I'm sure I do not use the equavilent of vanilla for the chocolate as the icing would be like soup. How do I convert it? Thanks for any help!

I used to use cocoa powder in my chocolate buttercream but I got so tired of the mess!! So, I decided to try melted chocolate and wow! This recipe is smooth, creamy, and will crust over after about 5-10 minutes. I've also noticed since I started using the melted chocolate that I no longer have the dark streaks-see my pics!

Chocolate Buttercream (crusting)

• 22 tbs. salted butter (it's almost 3 sticks) 2/3 c. Crisco shortening 5-8 tbs half and half or light cream 2 tsp vanilla extract 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate that's been melted and cooled to room temp. 2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups) 1-3 tbs corn syrup

1. Melt the chocolate first using either the microwave or like I do: I put my chocolate in a glass measuring cup, place that in a pot with water in it (making sure the water isn't so deep it flows into the measuring cup) and heat on the stove over medium, stirring occasionally until fully melted. Allow to cool to room temp.
  2. Once the chocolate is cooled, cream together butter and shortening until smooth. Slowly add 2 tsp. vanilla and 5 tbs. of cream, then add the chocolate. Gradually add the powdered sugar and scrape down the bowl very well once it's all added. Slowly add more cream and corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency (you may not need a lot, depending on how hot your kitchen is and how humid it is outside).

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

i would probably add more vanilla because there's no chocolate to provide flavor kwim -- and try it as you say just leaving out the choco and if it's too loose add cornstarch -- or just make it as written sans choco but back off on the half & half add it sparingly until you determine the consistency then add it if you like/need it looser -- although i realize my post is probably too late 

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 17 Sep 2015 , 2:14pm
sparkledee3 Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 12:22am
post #3 of 4

Thanks k8. Never too late! I ended up with a basic BC for the cupcakes (child's school b-day party) that her Grandma delivered to school today. That gives me time work with the recipe above and see if I can get a nice creamy vanilla version. I've never used cornstarch in a frosting. Can you taste the cornstarch and how much should I start wtih? At what point do I add it?

CakeExperts - that strawberry cake looks delicious!!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2015 , 9:58am
post #4 of 4

i can't taste it -- start with maybe 2 tablespoons for a cup of icing give or take add more until you get the desired consistency  -- use it when you need it after it's made and it's too loose -- you can add water/milk/liquid to thin it also

Quote by @%username% on %date%