Satin Ice - Big Disappointment

Decorating By VS Sweet treats Updated 29 Sep 2015 , 4:25am by jessicake

VS Sweet treats Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry to bother all of you cake artist but I just need to say everything I've been through with this poor product. I am in this cake decorating business for 2 years and I've been baking cakes and other deserts since I was 13 years old. I have never been so disappointed at a product as I am with SATIN ICE fondant. I was told to try this product for the first time because it was WAY better than wilton or other fondant you can find in local stores like Michaels or Bulk N Barn. The first time I tried this product I bought 2 big pails of white fondant, and I color it with green gel color, the result was a piece of S***, it was cracking and tearing all over, impossible to wok with. I called satin ice customer service and the answer they gave it to me was to buy the pre color fondant instead of coloring it. For me that was a con Nº 1, so basically Satin ice is not designing their products to be flexible to work with other products, you will need to spent a lot of money is you need to work on a cake with multiple colors (of course that will increase the cost of your cake and your customer will not be happy). The second time, I helped a friend to decorate a cake for her daughter's first year, the cake was a ladybug cake so she bought red and white colors, so it was suppose to be "easy" for us to work with. For this time I watched tutorials and read forums and blog like this, in order to see how do you work with Satin Ice and also called Satin Ice customer service again and asked for some tips and suggestions. I did everything they suggested me to do, knead the fondant in small quantities and set them apart in zipploc bags and then rolled the whole amount over a silicone mat with a very thin layer of shortening in order to avoid the fondant to stick on it of the roling pin. Once the cake was covered the fondant began to tear and crack (this was a brand new pail). I took pictures of the cake and sent them to Satin Ice customer service, in return they asked me for the serial number or badge of the pail, I sent the information back and they responded that there was nothing wrong with the product, they tried on their end and it worked perfectly. I replied them and asked for specific instructions on how to work with this product in order to obtain a perfect fondant cake. This is the day I have never received any response back. Last try I did with this product was on a littler mermaid cake I had to deliver last month and again, I had to figured out how to fix the cake cause once the fondant was over the cake it turned with a very big and ugly elephant skin you couldn't hide not even putting that part on the back. Of course I don't even bother to write or send pictures to Satin Ice customer service because they don't ever care. I know there are some cake artist that LOVE working with Satin Ice but for me it's been a big nightmare since the moment I bought it. Sorry to post this here, but I had to express myself since Satin Ice customer service is no longer responding my emails. Thanks for reading my post, have a wonderful week and God bless!!!

8 replies
FullyBaked Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 9

Satin Ice is famed for its taste, not how easy it is to work with. Buying pre-coloured fondant is pretty much always a good idea, because trying to colour white fondant can take a lot of kneading to achieve an even colour, and the fondant dries out while you knead it. Bakels Pettinice is easier to handle, but doesn't taste as good. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 9

you can over work fondant too -- i'm sorry you've had these troubles -- i've used a lot of sí and i like it -- white that i added color to, black, the pre-colored stuff --

but obviously you need to use a different brand i guess

himatetali Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 9

I usually use fondarific and have never had issues with tearing or elephant skin. Recently I bought a5 lb container of Satin ice to try out but I found that it dries out rather quickly and leaves the cake with elephant skin, I think I will stick to fondarific.

leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 9

I actually like Satin Ice and also PettinIce by Bakels.  PI is softer.  I always bought precolored as often as possible.

I was taught in culinary school to roll fondant to about a 1/4" thickness to apply to a cake.  It was only after coming her to CC that I found people were rolling fondant very thin.  Thicker works better for me.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9

I can't work with Satin Ice, though I've tried multiple times. I wonder if regional climate is a factor, since many love it. Fondx is my favorite brand to work with.

MBalaska Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 12:06am
post #7 of 9

@Dr_Hfuhruhurr  the black Fondx is what I used on my black cake.  It was just an experiment with a different brand of fondant for me.  It sure rolled easily without much trouble.  I loved the deep color also.  I'd like to try some of the other colors.

@leah_s  everytime that I try to roll thiner than 1/ 4 inch things go badly for me.  It seems that I have more 'stretching to fit' with the thicker layer of fondant.   I don't use fondant to cover a cake very often, however it seems to be less wrinkly & doesn't fold in on itself when it's thicker.

jselle Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 1:26am
post #8 of 9

VS, like you I bought and tried SatinIce on a cake because I'd read so many comments about how good it was. I was very disappointed as the fondant cracked easily and resulted in the only cake I've ever given a refund on. Perhaps the weather does have something to do with it, but I don't know. When I made this particular cake the humidity was over 90% and it was hot and sticky outside. I just bought some Fondarific to try.

jessicake Posted 29 Sep 2015 , 4:25am
post #9 of 9

I too have had a bad experience with Satin Ice.  I bought pre-colored green for a full sheet football field groom's cake.  I had to cover the cake in a hurry and couldn't roll it as thin as I had hoped because the elephant skin was happening before I even got it on the cake!  There were a few cracks and much more elephant skin to follow….

I'm actually surprised that happened to you after adding color, I would've thought the added moisture could only help!  I live in a warm and humid climate, for what it's worth.  I am currently using Carma Massa Ticino Tropic mixed with about 15% Choco pan white modeling chocolate.  The MC lends opacity.  Tastes good too!  

Carma now offers a spectrum of colors as well as Massa from Albert Uster.  Fyi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%