Scratch Cake Won't Rise - Anyone Have Advice?

Baking By Happyfood Updated 17 Sep 2015 , 1:44pm by -K8memphis

Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 5:35am
post #1 of 10

I know there are some pretty smart and experienced bakers on this forum so I am really hoping someone might know what is happening here... After spending my life using cake mixes, I thought I would try making cakes from scratch for a change. I played around for a while and through trial and error, figured out how to turn out a nice cake on a regular basis. Well, it seems that the Universe has decided I must be getting a bit too big for my britches so it seems to have been tossing a few reality checks my way. Humbling and frustrating for sure. Here is the situation - I have been using the same recipe and have had good results with it until recently. The only thing that is noticeably different is the wet weather we have been experiencing. We have had an unusually rainy spring and summer so maybe this is the trouble? I purchased and replaced my baking powder twice since the spring because it has gotten hard from humidity. The baking powder is aluminum free. I did not change the size of the eggs or the milk in the recipe. Cake flour does not sit around too long as I only purchase it a few boxes at a time. My oven runs a few degrees hot so I adjust for that too. I am careful not to crowd my pans while they bake. My cakes in the past have rose nicely to the top of the pans and made a beautiful layer. Now, they seem to rise slightly on the sides of the pan while the middle remains flat with hardly any rising. The texture in the center of the cake is rubbery and solid with little to no air bubbles in it. YUCK! The last time I tried to make a friend a cake I ended up tossing the layers in the trash can then ran up to the store to purchase a few boxes of cake mix. That was the only way I was going to be able to get her cake finished. I have absolutely no clue as to why I no longer can get a cake to bake properly! Would anyone out there have an idea of what might be happening? I would hate to just give up and go back to a box mix. The scratch cakes taste so much better. :)

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 11:02am
post #2 of 10

What recipe are you using?

costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 10

Someone sent me a message on here about this thread (I got an email notification) but I can't access my messages because the server here isn't working right. Please sign up to join my facebook page for my customers to ask questions, I check that a lot and I'll be able to get to it.  Go to facebook.com/caketutorialtips and ask to join the group... technically it's for my online customers only but whatever, if it allows me to get messages than use it and I don't need more emails!

Happyfood Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 10

@ costumeczar , Great!  I will look for your facebook page!  The recipe I have been using is from Toba Garrett's book "The Well-Decorated Cake".  It is her Moist Yellow Cake recipe.  Taste and texture are great! 

I was having issues with the site last night as well so I logged out instead of putting up with it's nonsense.   

MBalaska Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

Ease into it with a 'doctored' cake mix.

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/blog/doctored-cake-mix-recipes-2/

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 10

what kind of buttermilk do you use?

i've used this recipe and i  really like it -- she credits nick maglieri with it so it has good genes and it used to work for you -- really odd that it's not working now -- and nothing changed? do you use it exactly as written?

Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 4:27am
post #7 of 10

@ K8memphis,  I get my buttermilk from the grocery store right before I make a cake and follow the recipe exactly as it is written.  Maybe a better brand of buttermilk could help?  I usually just purchase the store brand figuring milk is milk.

Happyfood Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 4:34am
post #8 of 10

@costumeczar, I just sent a request to join your facebook group so you will be seeing someone you do not recognize.  :)

costumeczar Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 11:56am
post #9 of 10

Got it

-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2015 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 10

happyfood -- idk what could be wrong -- i've made this recipe and i love it -- hope kara can figure it out for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%