Figurine Tutorials?

Decorating By Brookebakes Updated 16 Sep 2015 , 11:42am by Shockolata

Brookebakes Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a bride and groom topper soon. Have made figurines before, but always have problems with getting them to stay upright!

any hints on good tutorials or classes online that are worth paying for? Thanks :-)

5 replies
Jinkies Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

Depends on what type you're doing.  Liz Marek (Artisan Cake Company) has a great in-depth tutorial on more realistic standing figures.  If you're looking for the more cartoon-y type, I just watched a cute one by Karen Bestwick on youtube.  It's super long, like 6 parts but it was really good.

NZcakegirl Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 8:19am
post #3 of 6

I am only a hobby decorator but I have just watched custom cake toppers by Brenda Walton on craftsy and I really liked her class and she does a bride and groom in that class.  She has lots of other ways to really make the toppers stand out with extra pops of detail.

she uses a skewer through the whole center of her figurines for support, (which I previously have used spaghetti) and also lets her base dry well before adding the body. Which is about all my skills can advise. More wiser ones may have other hints

others might suggest other tutorials but for me her class was really worth while. Really enjoyed it and learnt lots

FlourPots Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 10:27am
post #4 of 6

Here's a GREAT's by a clay artist, but the techniques can be used for fondant.

*Last edited by FlourPots on 16 Sep 2015 , 10:35am
Brookebakes Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 11:32am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much peoples! I think a night on the couch watching tutorials is in order :-)

Shockolata Posted 16 Sep 2015 , 11:42am
post #6 of 6

I wrote a lot about the process and then realised that it would be much more helpful if I were to give you a link to a YouTube video that explains things better. He is making it with Fimo type of clay but you can do the same with 50-50 fondant-modelling paste and instead of baking, leave to air dry fully.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%