Edible Printing

Decorating By Mommymelly Updated 15 Sep 2015 , 2:11am by icingimages

Mommymelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommymelly Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

I know this subject has been touched on many times, but it seems every few months with new printers coming out I need to ask the question all over again to make sure my new printer isn't already outdated. I started off doing my edible printing with a Canon MG3200, which worked OK for doing a sheet at a time. But, the more I use it... the more I want to chuck it out the window. I'm now doing much larger quantities, and I feel like I spent an hour taking the thing apart just to stop my edible paper from getting jammed and then throwing away perfect good (well, used to be good) edible paper. I've switched around with some of my edible paper as well, first I tried Ink4Cakes and although I like how white they look, they are a bit thick and seem to pop off the paper more often than not. Then I tried Inkedibles, theirs seems to improve but were a little bit more expensive with similar issues. I then moved to Kopykake and although I LOVE that theirs seem to stay on the paper when printing, the downfall is that they aren't as crisp white as the others. I'm doing such large orders now (1,500 pcs at a time), that I really need a backup or replacement printer and I'm struggling to make a decision on what to buy. Is spending $500 verse $100 really going to get me anything better? What kind of printers are these larger companies using for their edible printing? Any suggestions?

4 replies
TruRedd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruRedd Posted 14 Sep 2015 , 3:07am
post #2 of 5

Hi, everyone! Just had one question, Are all the printers the same or are they pacific for edible imaging? Ex.MG6620 printer is standard and probably comes with ink, but I buy the edible ink instead to use. I've done all my research and this is pretty much the only thing not answered.   

myphotocake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myphotocake Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 12:01am
post #3 of 5

Hi Mommymelly

I'm new here but thought I could answer your question as I've been printing edible images for a few years.  I found it a lot easier once I upgraded to a Canon A3 printer as it seems to handle the sheets better and is easier to clean.  At the moment we are using an ix6550.  I only print A4 size.   If you are printing that many it might help to upgrade.   I also found this that can helped with roller marks on the paper which happened a lot less with the A3 printer.  https://www.edibleimagesupplies.com.au/avoiding-roller-marks-edible-sheets

TruRedd, depending on which edible ink you want to buy they usually recommend which printer they are for.  When you buy the printer it will probably come with normal ink but do not use it.  Insert the edible ink cartridges you have bought instead and keep this printer only for edible ink :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 1:22am
post #4 of 5

I get my supplies from @icingimages  and I've never had trouble with the cartridges or jamming. I have a Canon MG5520 and I like it so much I bought a second one in case the first one conks out. The times that I've had issues with the printing I've been able to figure it out using the icingimages.com website (and no, they don't pay me to say that. I have nothing to do with their business other than being a customer!)

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 15 Sep 2015 , 2:11am
post #5 of 5

I am not sure what the Canon 3200 printer.  Last time I heard of a model similar to that it was a 2 cartridge printer, but that was so long ago, I cant believe you would still be in that printer!  Maybe it was an Epson you had.  The printers you use for edible printing are the same as regular printers, but they use compatible inks.  However, purchasing from an edible printing company does have its advantages.  The biggest one being the warranty.  But depending on the service level and the quality of the products that are used, you can get by on your own by purchasing a printer outside of one of these companies.  The Ink and the Paper are what makes the printer.  If you have good ink and you print regularly, then you printer will work well.  Regarding the paper, there are different grades of paper.  Some brands do not work well with the path that the printer takes it in.  We do not have that problem at all.  Mommymelly are you inserting 1page at a time or several?  But I really need to know more about your printer prior to being able to help you further.  Custumeczar thank you again for the positive comments, they mean so much!  I hope to meet you one day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%