How Much Would You Charge?

Business By Viggadiz Updated 11 Sep 2015 , 10:12pm by -K8memphis

Viggadiz Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hi i was asked to make a harry potter monster book cake, and i don't know how to price it.
the size of the cake will be aprox 8*11 and i will be making 2 cake bottoms with frosting between them and on the outside, plus some easy fondant decorations. There is no bakery in my town so people i know have started to ask me to make cakes for them and now a stranger asked me to do this one for money and i want to have some idea of how much to charge to tell them before i make the cake.
i don't know how to upload a photo so i will just put a link to a cake here, mine will be similar to this one.
hope you can help a newbie out.
best regards from iceland

3 replies
Apti Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to the forum all the way from Iceland.  Unfortunately, there is no way anyone here can offer any meaningful pricing advice because there are too many variables.  In America, we often say "what are bakeries near you charging for a similar cake?", but you don't even have that option.

I'd suggest for a quick, who-the-heck-knows, type of pricing for this one custom cake order:

Figure out all your ingredient and supply costs.  Pretend you are giving the customer a list of of every ingredient and supply item needed for the order, either locally or online.  (Since the customer wouldn't be able to purchase 2 eggs, or 240 ml of buttermilk, the customer would have to buy an entire package of that specific item. )

Example:  If the recipe needs eggs, what is the smallest quantity of eggs you can buy at the store, use that price.  If the recipe needs flour, what is the smallest bag of flour you can buy at the store, use that price.   If the recipe needs sugar, what is the smallest bag of sugar you can buy at the store, use that price.  And so on for every ingredient.  Do the same for supplies:  If you need fondant, what is the least amount of fondant you can buy at a store or online, use that price.  Cake board--if you need to purchase a pack of 6 to get the cake board you need, use that price.

Labor Cost - Figure out how many hours it will take from beginning to end.  (Purchase ingredients and supplies, bake, clean up, decorate, clean up.  Let's say it will take you 5 hours.    What is the minimum hourly wage in your town?  Multiply the minimum hourly wage by 5 and you you have your labor cost.

AND MOST IMPORTANT!  If you come up with (pretend price) a price of $127 ISK and the customer screams, 'HOW MUCH!!!!???? ARE YOU KIDDING???'

Do NOT lower your price.  Politely tell the person that  custom cakes require a great deal of skill, time, and baking knowledge. 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 4

yes i agree i can't say what you should charge but i can tell you what i would charge --  in my area of west tennessee if it was just a rectangular cake i would charge about $120 -- say you get 30 servings out of it -- i use pans that are 8x12 so 30- 32 servings at $4 each -- cake would be 4" tall --

however it is actually a sculpture so that's a different price point -- even though it's a rectangular sculpture it's a book not a cake so i'd probably add $1-$2 per serving so $150 - $180

the decor looks like a lot of fun to do -- also if i was in business now i'd have a minimum amount that i would charge for any work and it would be higher than the $180 but in my corner of the world $150 - $180 would be good --

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 4

except for the copyright thing though-- i really would not do a harry potter book cake for sale 

Quote by @%username% on %date%