Kitchen Inspection Questions!!!

Business By dyasia87 Updated 11 Sep 2015 , 6:31pm by dyasia87

dyasia87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyasia87 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi guys!!! So I just recieved a call saying my application was approved by the dept of agriculture. So now I have to have someone come out and inspect my kitchen...do you guys have any idea on what I should expect or things I should have done??? Also I'm located in virginia beach TIA!!

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

Clean the gaskets on your fridge. Some of them look for that and some don't, but if they point it out it's just embarrassing.

Make sure you have chlorine test strips to use for sanitizing solution, they always ask for those. I had to get some online because I couldn't find any that were the right pH levels.

They'll probably want to see all the areas where you work, and will check to see if the floors are solid etc. Most of the time the first inspection is pretty long because they go through a bunch of information with you. The inspectors I've worked with have all been really helpful, they want to make sure you know everything you need to know and will answer any questions you have. If you make a list of questions you have for them it would probably be good so that you don't forget anything.

dyasia87 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks soo much!! As far as the test strip which one did you purchase?? Also do you think I should get a work table, the stainless steel tables?? I am so nervous!!! Do my items in the fridge have to be separated from my home items?

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 10

You should have your cake items in separate storage or a separate cabinet if you can, but if you only have one refrigerator just do the best you can to arrange it. They don't care about the work surfaces so much as long as they can be cleaned. They're more interested in if you have carpeting in the room you're working in, they want it to be a solid surface floor that can be mopped. Just get some test strips like these: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fmp-142-1362-sk-twc-chrome-chlorine-sanitizer-test-strips-100-vial/3591421362.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw98mvBRD-_ciSovKhq7gBEiQAEvsBZ9rDKCLnWIdAoqsUEi0Yd1fvwoBLJsGwROJnlf-Kc6caAnhL8P8HAQ

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 10

If you fail the inspection they give you a list of things that you have to fix, then they'll come back out. So don't worry about it too much. You can also ask them if they have a list of things they're looking for so that you can prepare.

dyasia87 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks soo much for responding!!! The strip sare to test my cleaning products?

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 10

You have to have a double sink in the kitchen. The first is for washing and the second is for sanitizing. The strips are to test the strength of the sanitizing water/solution in the sink to make sure it's strong enough.

dyasia87 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 10

Oh nooo... I only have 1 sink.

costumeczar Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 10

I'd call and ask them about that, then. They might let you use a tub on the counter for sanitizing solution, or if you have a dishwasher you could put things through that instead. Depends on the inspector a lot of the time, though.

dyasia87 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 10

Yes I do have a dish washer, I'll definitely give them a call thank you again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%