Angel Food Wedding Cake

Baking By Marla505 Updated 28 Dec 2015 , 9:47pm by johnson6ofus

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever made a 3 tier wedding cake entirely out of Angel Food cake? I have a bride who wants a 6"x9"x12". Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 9

Do you mean angel cake as in a cake containing no fat? (no butter or oil)?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 9

i seem to remember snatches of a cake like this -- my career spans four decades and i've forgotten some of the passwords to get back into some of the mental file cupboards very dusty back there hazy -- i remember it being requested  but i don't remember actually making the cake -- i remember being worried that it would not serve well -- probably someone else actually made it for them but they had consulted w/me -- and i think i learned later that all went well -- idk -- but that's the big deal -- it needs to be sawn through to serve --you can't cut it has to be back & forth sawn kwim  -- 

6x9x12 is doable but it's not the same servings as a regular cake -- did they/you allow for that?

i would suggest a dummy cake and angel food kitchen cakes -- but i would also really like the challenge too -- they need to be baked with a hole in the middle like in a tube pan -- you could put an upside down cake pan in the middle of the pans to make the hole

sounds like fun but are your servings right? angel food is usually served in wedges

oh and DO NOT open the oven door early -- just don't do it 

sweat_smile.png

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 9

what i'd really wanna do is bake loaf cakes and then just assemble them as square tiers instead of round -- seems more efficient even if you had to round off the corners if you kept it round -- idk that's a thought though for the idea pot

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 9

I am thinking angel food cupcake tower.

I think you could stack angel food cakes, why not, especially if you use SPS or hidden pillars, no problem. But stacking is not the issue here.

how would you serve/cut 2 inch by 1 inch pieces of angel food cake?

Marla505 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:02am
post #6 of 9

Yes a traditional angel food cake recipe.  Is it not possible to bake it in a regular pan, with no tube in the middle?

Marla505 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 3:03am
post #7 of 9

Yes

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 8:32am
post #8 of 9

If' it's a fatless sponge then I wouldn't do it as a stacked cake.  You'd have to have very thin tiers so the bottom of each didn't squish.  Furthermore, you have to make it very very fresh otherwise it will go stale and I'd be very surprised if you could put fondant on it.  The angel food cake I have made before certainly wouldn't take the weight.  I had a bride request an Angel cake once and I said no.  The recipe I had suggested consuming within 12 hours...you cannot bake, fill, cover, stack and serve within 12 hours!  If they really want it, I'd go with k8memphis's suggestion and make a dummy cake and cutting cakes out the back.  If they do this route though then make sure you charge properly for both.  Do not accept something if you are even slightly concerned that it won't be possible...you may be lucky but if not, best case is you have to tell the bride you can't do it and worst case is you have a cake disaster... good luck x

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 9

I checked google images for ideas. Seems like if it was on a structured tower, one tier on each, you could do it. Quick light whipped icing and fresh berries...maybe. But fondant and elaborate decorations...no...unless premade and dried somehow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%