A Firm Cake Recipe

Baking By newbeeatcakes Updated 6 Oct 2015 , 8:42am by newbeeatcakes

newbeeatcakes Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 9:25am
post #1 of 10

Hi

I am planning to bake this aeroplane cake (link below) for my daughter's second birthday.

It's gonna be my first time with fondant cakes. Can you please suggest a firm cake recipe that will be suitable for this?

I have tried a mudcake for another cake, but found it to be too moist. The cakes used in the video look much firmer.

Any tips would be very welcome.

Also, since the cake requires assembling different parts, would ganache work better or buttercream?

Thanks

9 replies
TheresaCarol Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 10

When icing something like this, I use a quick icer tip to put the icing on then spread the icing with a spatula.  I have never used ganache because I always do fine with my quick icer tip.  I believe it is all personal preference.  When do cakes like this I always add one extra egg to a cake mix (for firmness) or use a pound cake type recipe if baking from scratch.  I have also found using whole milk instead of water helps to provide a firmer cake especially if I am adding pudding to the mix.  My biggest suggestion is to make sure the fondant is rolled thin because if the fondant is too heavy, no firm cake will hold it.  Cake looks adorable; have fun!

newbeeatcakes Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 6:16am
post #3 of 10

Thanks a lot Theresa. I will do a trial run with a pound cake recipe. Planning to use a pre-rolled fondant for this.

Do you have any advice for sticking the wings to the plane? It's going to be a tricky part, and any suggestions are welcome.

TheresaCarol Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 11:14am
post #4 of 10

I would just use the icing.  Make a thin layer on both the wing and the plane (so both pieces are damp) then place them together as close as you can.  Use icing to "fill the gaps".  I rarely use anything else besides just the icing.  You may want to thin some icing down with water, just a little, to make more of a paste.  It isn't as hard as you may think.  You will do great!  I would use a cookie sheet or flat board to move your bigger wings around so they don't break.

newbeeatcakes Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 9:38am
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much for your help Theresa.

TheresaCarol Posted 12 Sep 2015 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 10

Glad to help.  Would love to see a picture when you are finished. :)

newbeeatcakes Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:41am
post #7 of 10

Hi Theresa

I used a mudcake in the end and it all worked out quite well. Thank you again for all your help. Here's the pic :)

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3352397/aeroplane-cake

TheresaCarol Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:49am
post #8 of 10

Looks fantastic; glad I could be of help. :)

newbeeatcakes Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 8:41am
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much :)

newbeeatcakes Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 8:42am
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%