How Much Powdered Food Coloring To Use?

Decorating By princelyess Updated 10 Sep 2015 , 1:38pm by TheresaCarol

princelyess Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All!

I am making my daughter's wedding cake, and the frosting needs to be black.  I am planning on making it chocolate first, but my question is, how much powdered food coloring do I use?  Does anyone have any any experience with black buttercream?  Any tips or suggestions?

3 replies
Norcalhiker Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 4

No experience with black buttercream, but I recently colored some fondant black.  A pastry chef friend warned black color leaves an aftertaste, that it takes considerably more dye (1-2 times more) to make a good black than other colors, so the aftertaste will be an issue. 

I would recommend you test color a full batch of bc, the apply it to a test cake of the flavor you intend to bake--then eat the test cake.  That way you will see whether the color works, and you will know how it's tastes.

TheresaCarol Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 4

Making the icing chocolate is for sure your best beginning.  The icing will be brown but have a good start to black.  Norcalhiker is right about an aftertaste, the more color you use the worse it will be.  I have never been able to get a good dark black or red color from powdered color with the exception of Crystal Colors.  They are an all-natural color that guarantees you get the color you see in the container.  However, the darker the color the more you use but I have had the best results for a darker color with no aftertaste with it.  They don't have a black, only a charcoal.  They give directions on how to mix it with different icings on this page:  No matter what route you take, I think testing your bc would be the best bet.  You don't want to have the wrong thing for such an important occasion.

TheresaCarol Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 4

Forgot to say, I have used Americolor black and not had an aftertaste when I started with chocolate icing.  It depends on how dark your chocolate icing is to determine how much color you will need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%