Edible Printers - Need Help

Decorating By marvin6418 Updated 9 Sep 2015 , 4:58pm by littlemo12

marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 11:46am
post #1 of 18

Hi I am looking at buying an edible printer. The main things I want to print on would be fondant sheets. All the printers I seem to be looking at say they do fondant paper I then other reviews say they don't.

I have no idea what I really need. Can anyone advise on what the best model and make of printer are for me to buy please. I would like something that will give a good quality print and not look pixelated and amateurish.

17 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 18

Go to icingimages.com and ask them there. They're also a member here so I'll tag them and they might see this thread @icingimages  

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 18

Hi Marvin6418!

Thanks costumeczar for the referral.  Marvin, when you say fondant sheets, what do you mean?  That term can mean different things to different people.  Most people mean icing sheet when they say fondant sheet, and if that is the case, then our printers are perfect for what you need.  Our printers provide very vivid prints that are clear and beautiful.  However, if the picture that you start with is pixelated, then it will print the picture the same way!  What you put in, comes out!!!  We also have a free program that is web based to use for your edible printing! Our icing sheets ( as we call them) are the flexible ones that resist the cracking and have an easy peal backing for your convenience!  Our customer service is top rated by many high level professionals in the industry including Dana Herbert, Peggy Tucker, Colette Peters, Lisa Mansour and so many more!  I look forward to hearing back from you!

marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 18

Hi Icingimages

Thank you for getting back to me when I say fondant sheets I mean quite thick icing on a backing sheet that is flexible and not too dry to crack. I did have an Epson workforce wf-3640 previously (a gift) but had a lot of problems with the ink not applying to the paper and just filling up the ink overfill block. This had to be returned. I have now been told to pick what I would like and would like to make sure I am making an informed decision.

The fondant sheets I used on this printer were as I described which some printers say will not pass through due to the bottom tray loading or the thickness of the fondant.

*Last edited by marvin6418 on 9 Sep 2015 , 2:09pm
marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks costmeczar for the recommendation

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 18

Hi Marvin,

I am glad you brought this up, as there is some information confusing information that is out there.  There are some newer Canon printers that have a feeding tray that is under the printer.  This causes the icing sheet to create a wide "u" turn.  Some Icing sheets, fondant sheets etc, cannot handle this as they become dry and brittle and crack or fall off the backing causing printer jams.  Not all Icing Sheets are the same.  The Icing Sheet that we sell, the Premium Icing Sheet is a bit thicker than standard brands and comes on a clear backing.  This Premium Icing Sheet do work extremely well with all Canon printers, even the precut icing sheets.  But again, it must be the Premium Icing Sheet from Icing Images.  This sheet is like no other on the market, it is flexible, tastes good, resists drying and cracking and is the only edible paper on a backing that has edge to edge printing.  There is a tab that feeds in to the printer first for loading the sheet.  This sheet is amazing and if you want a sample and are in the contiguous US, please contact sales@icingimages.com.  But these sheets (and our printers/inks) are preferred by top level decorators, teachers, competitors and professionals in the industry such as Dana Herbert of Next Great Baker, CMSA Peggy Tucker, CMSA Mike Terry, Author Colette Peters and Sugar Artist and teacher Lisa Mansour of New York Cakes.

I hope this helps you! If you have any questions, please let me know!

*Last edited by icingimages on 9 Sep 2015 , 2:22pm
marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks Icingimages. So in your opinion what are the best printers to go for?

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 18

This is what we currently in September of 2015 recommend, the ones on our site http://www.icingimages.com/edible-ink-printers  You can purchase them on your own, however ours do come with a warranty and other product, oh and they are on sale!!!  Everyone love a sale.

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 18

We are in the office now if you want to chat with someone!  540-869-5511  But, if you create an account with us, you will receive a coupon which is valid for one week that you could use towards your purchase!!!

marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 18

I have heard Cannons are terrible for not recognising non Cannon cartridges is this a problem using the edible ink cartridges?

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 18

Hi Marvin,

A lot of that is dependent on the brand you are using.  That was more of a problem universally several years ago.  I hear that some brands of cartridges still have that problem.  We have that problem maybe once every 6 months with one customer and one cartridge.  I would give you a percentage overall but it is so minimal that I couldn't.  There are brands, usually cheap brands that still do have that problem, but we only have it very rarely.  Remember, we use our products and if I am not thrilled with the product, I won't sell it.

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 18

A note to readers and posters regarding edible technology information on the web.  Technology is ever changing.  Watch the dates on posts as information from last year could be outdated.  Different edible technology companies change with the times, some do not.  Some have different levels of what is ok, and quality expectations are different for every one of us.  Edible printer model numbers can change yearly sometimes.  So when reading on these forums, look at the dates and ask the questions like Marvin is.  We are always hear to help and answer questions.  Our website always has the most up to date info www.icingimages.com we have a blog and and email sign up where we send out information regularly in hopes to keep everyone up to date. 

marvin6418 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you so much for all your help.

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 18

Always here to help any time!

costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 18

I can vouch for the icingimages sheets going through a "u-turn" printer with no problems. I had a sample pack and printed a photo for someone and it went through my Canon printer with no issues. I also haven't had any problems with the cartridges, I use their cartridges and refills. The only time I had a problem was when I tried to refill a cartridge too many times because I wasn't keeping track of how many times I did it. As soon as I put a new cartridge in it worked fine. Now I'll make a mark on the top of the cartridge each time I refill it to keep track of when it's time to throw it out and that works really well.

littlemo12 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 18

I too have a canon printer and use the icingimages premium sheets .... they are really so much better than other brands in both quality and taste. I was wondering if anyone has tried to run gumpaste through a bottom feeding printer that runs through the "u-turn" ?

icingimages Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 18

Did you do it with a back feeding printer?

littlemo12 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:58pm
post #18 of 18

Mine is a front loading tray .... Canon 6620. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%