Stenciling With Powdered Sugar

Decorating By TheSconeRanger Updated 11 Sep 2015 , 11:49pm by -K8memphis

TheSconeRanger Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 7:07am
post #1 of 5

So I'm making a few gluten free cakes for a wedding. Just some simple double 8 inch rounds. I planned on doing a smooth chocolate ganache to frost them and the bride wants me to use stencils she cut to make some lace with powdered sugar. My only concern is that the moisture from the ganache could possibly absorb the powdered sugar (because they will be refrigerated) so the condensation from the chocolate could ruin it. Does anyone have any ideas to avoid this or will I just have to change the icing in general?

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 5

the only things I can think of is apply the stencil last minute -- y'know slide them out of the fridge so they can dry off/set up/acclimate to the room temp then quickly powder them up -- or use whipped ganache but still it might condense some if you fridge them -- gotta test it with your particular fridge and conditions

Shockolata Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

100% the powdered sugar will disappear. You can only do this at the venue minutes before cutting.

TheSconeRanger Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 5

Would you recommend a different alternative to ganache?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 5

i mean anything stored in the fridge is gonna condense a little when it comes to room temp  right so ganache would work but it's gotta dry and be room temp before dusting -- but you could use a crusting buttercream like the one on the back of the Hershey cocoa can-- you can find it online too just do a search for 'hershey's perfectly perfect cake/icing' -- bit it's the fridge that's biting you not the ganache --

and fwiw -- i cream the butter into the  powder and add the liquid i don't use their directions but it all works

Quote by @%username% on %date%