Have You Used Uncured Gumpaste?

Decorating By B-Line Updated 11 Sep 2015 , 6:30am by B-Line

B-Line Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:36am
post #1 of 5

I use the Nicholas Lodge recipe, I started out with the Wilton pre-made stuff so this recipe was a revelation.  Over time I've realized it does better with a few days to cure before using rather than just even the recommended 24....buuuuut...of course I ran out of tylose, and Amazon won't be able to send me more for me until Thursday - and of course cake is for Saturday. 

I have enough gumpaste in my fridge  to make some of the larger pieces I need but I don't have enough to make my leaves.  I think they are thin enough they'll dry in time if I make them Friday but that doesn't leave me time to cure the gumpaste.

How much of a disaster would it be if I just let it cure over night?  Anyone done this?  Tips? Advice?

P.S. I searched for this topic, because I'm certain I've seen it before but I couldn't find it, so if there is one and someone can point me there, I'd be much obliged.

4 replies
TheresaCarol Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 5

I have used Nic's recipe after setting overnite and not had a problem.  I think the key is to roll it thin.  Be sure there is no humidity in the room and they have a good dry warm place to dry.  Sorry, I can't recall what I made with it but I do know I did do it without a problem.

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

One of the kinds of gumpaste that I use is an adapted version of his recipe that we used to use 20 yrs ago in culinary school. (The one that he uses in his Craftsy class is different from the original one that he used to use.)

Anyway, I make it, take it out of the mixer, knead some corn starch in and start using it right away. It works fine and will dry fine too. Plus the version that we used doesn't have egg in it so it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2015 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 5

I tried to find the recipe, I'd posted in somewhere else, but I'll jstu repeat it. This is adapted from the one in his Sugarcraft book:

2 lbs confectioner's sugar 

2 Tbsp Tylose

1/2 cup cold water

2 packets gelatin

1 1/2 tsp corn syrup

1 Tbsp crisco

Put the sugar and tylose in the bowl of the mixer. Bloom the gelatin in the water in a metal bowl, then add the crisco and corn syrup and stir it double-boiler style over a pan of boiling water to melt it. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and beat until it's incorporated, then increase the mixer speed and beat it a little more, but don't burn out your mixer! If it strains to work turn it off. Turn the gumpaste out onto a clean surface and knead in corn starch until it stiffens up to where you want it. It will get a little stiffer as it sits, so don't make it super stiff to begin with. Knead in crisco to get it workable. Store it in plastic wrap at room temp, or in the fridge if you won't be using it for long periods of time, but it doesn't have to be refrigerated.

I used to use this recipe all the time and it's a good basic gumpaste. I have a "secret recipe" I came up with that I use now that's a little less brittle, but this one is easy to make and you can use it right away.

B-Line Posted 11 Sep 2015 , 6:30am
post #5 of 5

update, I was panicking last night and since I didn't have any answers yet, I ran out and got some wilton gum-tex/tylose.

The texture is not as nice as the one with my CAI tylose, but it works and it's had a full day.  I'm coloring for leaves now.    They should be dry tomorrow - in time to petal dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%