Template Or Cake Press Available?

Decorating By Sboucher Updated 8 Sep 2015 , 9:03am by Shockolata

Sboucher Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:35am
post #1 of 4

I have to do a wedding cake in a few months for a family member. They have picked a cake that has royal piping all over, some of it resembles paisley. I have never done it before. So my question is, is there a template that you use or a cake press?

PS. I am new here how can I add a picture for you all to see what I am talking about? Thanks!

3 replies
Amps.prkns Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:43am
post #2 of 4

Irk about the picture thing/ I'm pretty new as well. But about the cake, the do sell stencils you could press royal icing into but it won't looked like you piped it. If you mean more of like what kind of pattern you can do, you could just search for pasley patterns online and get ideas from that. They also sell silicone mats you can buy with pasley patterns and use gumpast or sugar veil .. But piping with royal icing will look different so if that's what you're looking for then that's the way to go. Hope I understood your question. 

goldiesgoodies Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:54am
post #3 of 4

Print out the design you are looking for and place a piece of parchment paper over it and trace it with the royal icing. Once it hardens you can lift it off the parchment and place on the cake. I usually only do buttercream cakes so this technique works for me, I have not tried it on fondant covered cakes. 

Shockolata Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 9:03am
post #4 of 4

To add an image to a post: look at the tool bar directly above the space where you are typing. It will have some boxes. One of them shows a chain link and next to it is a photo of a mountain and a moon (sun). You click on the button with the photo and then browse your hard disk to find the image you want. If the image was on the internet, then you right click on it and save as a download or give it a name so you can locate it again on your HDD. Easy-peasy! Doesn't work through mobile phones, though, only through desktop and laptop computers. Don't ask me why.

Now for a paisley design. It is basically a tear drop shape. Just practice doing them on acetate having a paisley printout underneath until your hand learns the curves and you gather speed. Then try to recreate it on a flat surface without having the guide design underneath. Once you have mastered that, you can go on to fondant. If your royal icing is the right consistency, you should be able to pipe quite well on the vertical surfaces. I also like what they call Cornelli lace  http://www.wilton.com/technique/Cornelli-Lace which is easier to do and does not require a steady hand ;)

Hope all goes well for you. Don't forget to come back and share a picture of the finished cake with us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%