Ganache Help!!

Decorating By tessholly1 Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 9:42pm by Brookebakescake

tessholly1 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all..

I LOVE ganache and use it to cover all my cakes. I'm so in love with the flavour that I now much prefer it over buttercream, especially with a chocolate cake!! However I attempted using my white chocolate ganache as a filling in my chocolate sponge as well as to cover the cake and found that hardened as much as the covering and just wasn't as creamy and yummy as I'd wanted. I'm assuming it set up whilst in the fridge when the covering was setting so my question it how do I avoid this?? Obviously I want my outer coating to set nice and hard but how do I keep a ganache filling nice and soft almost like buttercream would be?!

TIA x

5 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6

Did you use the same ratio of chocolate to cream for the filling as you did the outside? Also, did you whip the filling until it was light and airy?

tessholly1 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I used the same ratio and no I didn't whip it. I literally used it exactly as I did for the covering.. Which sounds a bit silly now you've bought it to my attention lol!! 

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

:)  Yeah, whip the filling into submission.  You'll have a nice light dreamy layer of chocolate goodness :)

tessholly1 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your advice, exactly what I needed to know!! ..Should I whip before the ganache cools or after?! 

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 6

After :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%