Cake Idea ??

Baking By TrillOne Updated 9 Sep 2015 , 8:21pm by CatPoet

TrillOne Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Trill One here (wave) I find this forum really interesting and I've decided to ask y'all about a specific cake idea. So long story short What would you combine with cinnamon , muscat nut , clove and white pepper (gingerbread mixture of some kind). My boss is asking for unusual cake and i thought to go with mixture then combine it with oranges and chocolate somehow ?? Any idea is very helpful TY !

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 11

wow how cool -- i had to google 'muscat nut' 'cause i never heard of it before but it's just another name for mace 

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhistory/a/nutmeghistory.htmhtm

wow I love mace in my yeasted sweet breads and pastries but i haven't seen it in the grocery stores for years -- but I just checked penzey's and they have it king arthur otoh does not  --

but i like it by itself  never tried it in a mix of spices -- but that sound phenomenal -- hey I use white chocolate to ice my gingerbread so maybe a smbc icing w/white choco?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 11

i think the orange zest is a good idea in the cake or orange oil in the icing -- y'know i like a lot of spice but I'd go real easy on the clove so it doesn't overshadow the mace --

i've done many spice cakes with brown chocolate icing -- but i'd just have to test this combination first with real chocolate -- might be too strong of flavor but it might be heaven too --

please post your tests and results this is making my mouth water -- best to you

Amps.prkns Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:28am
post #4 of 11

Carrot cake - with an orange zest and white pepper filling... 

costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 12:32am
post #5 of 11

I do spice cake with molasses buttercream and it's delicious.

Shockolata Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 11

I would put cherry jam with those spices - a marriage made in heaven. Spicy cake, reduced red wine and cherry syrup to drench, cherry jam and cream cheese frosting and, if you still want more, a drizzle of bitter chocolate glaze.

CatPoet Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 11

Here in Sweden we have another gingerbread spice cake and our gingerbread doesnt have whitepepper. I used to make it for christmas, the icing is basic  but good, whipped cream with  lingon jam folded in, you can use cranberry instead.

The Vicarage Spicecake

100 gram of butter

2 medium sized eggs

200 ml of sugar

150 ml sour cream 

1½ teaspoon ginger

1½ teaspoon clove

2 teaspoon cinnamon

300 ml plain flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda.

Preheat the oven to 175 C.  Grease and dust  a 1½ litre round tin. Melt the butter and cool. Whisk egg and sugar until pale. Mix flour, spices and bicard in a bowl.   Add  sour cream and butter to the eggs and combine. Fold in the flour. Pour in the tin and  bake for  45 min until skewer comes out clean-.

It is late in Sweden and I quickly translated this cake.  My friend says that she  removes 2 tablespoon of flour and adds flour tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and that makes the cake a bit more interesting, I have never done that, I just like it with whipped cream and lingon jam.  I also seen this cake with  white chocolate lingon mousse, I dont know how that taste.

TrillOne Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks y'all for help :)

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 11

i'm really interested in the molasses buttercream -- is it american or meringue? just add a couple tablespoons instead of liquid?

julia1812 Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 11

Muscat nut is nutmeg I believe...anyway...I use that kind of mixture for my carrot cake. But then...carrot cake isn't  very unusual.  Hmmm...just thinking...did your  boss ask for an unusual cake or an unusual spice cake? If he's a man and wants some usual cake why don't you make him a guiness/  beer cake? That's certainly something more unusual than a spice cake. October fest style decoration and you even made it seasonal, lol!

CatPoet Posted 9 Sep 2015 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 11

And honestly chocolate is common. 

Bacon, Chocolate, peanut is sort the go to  when people want to be different and then every one is just the same.

It much harder and more different to make a cake based on fruit flavours.  I have had a lovely Pina colada cake ones, soft rum sponge filled with pineapple and frosted with a coco nut frosting. 

And my favourite is apples and almond torte, just so lovely and it like eating apple pie but better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%