I Have To Make A Cake And I'm Not Sure How To Do It. Can Anybody Help Me

Decorating By daniellekyn Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm by Brookebakescake

daniellekyn Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 8

I have a cake order for a two tired cake that's black with multi coloured royal icing splashes on. I need to airbrush the cake black which will take quite a bit of colour, I need to know if the black colour will run and smudge when I pour on the wet royal icing.

7 replies
Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

Why not just use black fondant?

KrazyAboutCake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

Most likely it will run.  Use black fondant or if you think the taste won't be right, Mix black gel paste in with chocolate fondant.  The other problem with airbrushing Black the guest can end up with Black Teeth and Tongue.  I would use the fondant and  if you want to use the royal icing you can.

daniellekyn Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 8

I would rather airbrush as when I make the fondant black it tends to go grey. It then tends to crack and dry out! So I'd rather airbrush it to get it jet black

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 8

You can purchase black fondant, and especially if you use a coupon at a craft or fabric store, it's a whole heck of a lot easier than trying to dye fondant yourself.  It's worth saving so much time and just having a nice consistent product (and not having purple fingers!)

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 8

It's easy to make black fondant if you make an entire batch black from the start meaning adding a strong black to the water when making MMF.  it's the trying to make white fondant to black that is crazy messy and time consuming.

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 8

Good point.  I love it when I have to make a large amount of one color, instead of bunches of different colors from one batch.

Brookebakescake Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8

But I still buy the black fondant :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%