Help! Fondant Topper

Decorating By Manasvig29 Updated 8 Sep 2015 , 11:52am by Magda_MI

Manasvig29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manasvig29 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 7:20am
post #1 of 4

I need to put a fondant alphabet topper on a cake.  I have made these before and inserted them in cakes using skewers or sticks. However this time I had to make a cursive letter "V". I made the V and it has dried up well. I also inserted 2 sticks in it. But I just realised that if I do insert these sticks into the cake, there is a chance they may slide and cut through the cake because they are diagonal and not vertical!! Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent that please!!

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 11:23am
post #2 of 4

If I make fondant letters which you upright on  a cake I roll the fondant out as thin as possible and I also add cmc to the fondant. I insert the toothpicks before the letters dry with a bit of edible glue rubbed on and only by about 1/4 of an inch or so. Like that I can insert the toothpick vertical.  Never had a problem of a letter falling of a toothpick.  By the time it's dry it's bonded together very well.

Hope my way of describing it makes any sence...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 11:25am
post #3 of 4

Oh, if you don't have time to redo it you could use flower wire inserted in each *branch* of the v and join/twist the 2 wires together at the bottom. Insert wire in a straw and then in the cake.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 11:52am
post #4 of 4

Can you cut off one of the sticks, and use the other to insert it at an angle, so you just poke one straight hole in the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%