Another Change In Cake Mix Sizes...

Baking By SCCB Updated 7 Sep 2015 , 2:11am by maybenot

SCCB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCCB Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 8

I just got back from a shopping trip and noticed something odd about the boxes of mix I bought.  After staring at the box for a while I realized my old favorite D Hines has changed their size again.  The new box is now a 15.25 ounce (but still the same price!).  I modify all cake mixes I use, so now I have to go back to the drawing board and come up with new figures. I don't think adding my additional 1/3 cup will cut it anymore.  Has anyone noticed a difference using the new size 15.25 oz?  If so, what was the difference?  The last change they made seemed to short me on cake once it was baked; I can't imagine how small the cake will be now with the newest change.  Sigh.... I may have to change to scratch baking only, no more mixes.  I make my specialty cakes from scratch, but the mixes were convenient when I needed to whip up a quick vanilla cake.  How are you all doing with the new change?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 8

idk -- i thought they lopped off 3 ounces a while back -- so that for every 5 mixes you want to bake you need to buy 6 boxes --

hasn't that been that way (about 15 oz) for some time?

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 6 Sep 2015 , 7:33pm
SCCB Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 8

I saw some 16.5 ounces on the shelf as well as the 15.25 ounce sizes.  Maybe my town is just now getting around to the smaller boxes?  All I know is that I took a 5 week break from baking and came back to smaller boxes!  That'll teach me to take a break.  LOL

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

idk -- i guess the changes weren't acoss the board uniform to begin with? too crazy huh

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 12:46am
post #5 of 8

Some of the DH Classics remained at 18.25 oz after the initial change of others to 15.25.  I'd guess that now it's the Classics that have been reduced to 16.5.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 1:07am
post #6 of 8

on cool -- thanks for that maybenot

SCCB Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 1:36am
post #7 of 8

I wonder why the company chose to sell different sizes in different locations...

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 7 Sep 2015 , 2:11am
post #8 of 8

It's likely just an issue of old stock being shelved with the new.  Give it a few weeks/months and I'm sure they'll all be the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%