Problems With An Oven

Baking By EasyParty Updated 6 Sep 2015 , 3:56pm by EasyParty

EasyParty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EasyParty Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask a home based cake business owners what ovens do you guys use?

I've purchased Maytag True Convection stove in November 2013. I was so excited to try true convection feature, thinking the cakes would be baked more evenly but unfortunately it wasn't the case. I would say this oven bakes worse than a regular convect oven. :( also after a year and 4 months it started to burn everything, by changing on its own the temperature from 300F to 500F . The company sent a service person who installed a sensor which worked for 4 months and it was back to burning cakes again. 

I am thinking to buy a new oven because fixing this one would cost a lot, now the whole electronic plate should be replaced. 

What ovens do you use and which ones are the best? I would really appreciate any help!!!! Thank you!!!

10 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

I have a Kitchenaid Superba that is 13 years old and has never failed me. It's a double oven with a convection option in the top.  I've never even needed to change the light inside.  I don't like using the convection feature for cakes.  It makes them streaky and lopsided - it could be the fan is too strong.  Works great for meat though!

EasyParty Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much! Definitely will check Kitchenaid stove! I love Kitchenaid! And thought Maytag is pretty good too! Haven't purchase a warranty thinking I am buying the expensive model from a great company. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 11

I have friends who have had to change their ovens once or twice in the time I've had mine. I keep hearing GE is the one that breaks down.

Norcalhiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norcalhiker Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 11

I've owned Viking, Jennair, GE 

viking was convection, but I found best results were produced without the convection on.  This was a great oven.   My Viking oven never required maintenance. However the Viking 6 burner stove top required maintenance once during a five year period we owned the home.  My brother had a Viking in his last home; as the family mother hen, I cook for most family gatherings.  I found my brother's Viking to run hot.  So a thermometer is a must. Gas single, built-in unit

the Jennair was ok, not my favorite oven, but adequate.  We only lived in the home 2 yrs before husband's career required a relocation.  I found the oven temp fluctuated, but I always use a thermometer and preheat for a minimum of 30 mins to guard against oven variables. Gas, double oven built in units

i hated the GE Profile in my last house--it just never baked or roasted anything very well. The only think that oven did well was self-clean. Electric, double oven built in units

my current oven is a standard GE range.  While it has hotspots and heats about 5 degrees under the set temperature, it's my favorite stove to date.  I adjust the setting to compensate for the 5 degree, preheat minimum of 30 mins and I produce great baked goods. Gas, freestanding range

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

i use a 3 deck deluxe brand convect -a-ray -- i have a ge home oven that i do not like at all -- and i've cooked on tons of different ovens -- i used to bake on a blodgett 4 deck pizza oven but they were double sized decks -- would hold two full sheet pans each -- i loved that oven and i had huge double sized pans that were made to fit it too -- i loved baking in that oven -- i really really like the big bakery rotating ovens where you can fit about three sheet pans on several different decks that rotate around inside -- ok i'm rambling now those don't work in a home right -- got carried away --

moral of the story: ge sucks 

big time

facepunch.png

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 4 Sep 2015 , 6:17pm
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 10:51am
post #7 of 11

This is interesting. I love convection cooking as you can cook at lower temperatures than conventional cooking. You can also cook different things or multi layers without having to move them/rotate them. My fan broke down a few months ago so I had to use the conventional heat. I don't see much difference in cake making other than I have to rotate the cakes in the oven to get them to brown evenly. The oven I have is a SMEG, the most expensive oven in the market, and it has broken down 3 times already. Other ovens, much cheaper have worked without a hitch for years and years. Defective batch? Who knows! Do you have IKEA in the USA? They sell pretty good ovens. I think (but not 100% sure) that they are made by Phillips. Nowadays, I only buy from retailers who either give extended warranties for free or have good customer service. I have realised that this is the only future proof method, as buying the cheapest available online does not work. There is no comeback with some internet retailers. Like the company that sold me my Hoover washer-dryer which broke down immediately... Oh what trouble I had with that! Took months for Hoover to admit their product was faulty, there was a recall and then they would not refund me as that was the retailer's job who had disappeared. I learned my lesson - the hard way. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 3:54am
post #8 of 11

I am not a commercial baker in the slightest but we just spent a small fortune (IMO) on a new oven. We bought an AEG oven which has a digital thermostat. The oven runs within 1 degree of the temperature that you set it at, ie if you set it on 160 celcius it will run between 159 and 161 degrees. It bakes super evenly and I am really happy with it.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 4:00am
post #9 of 11

Also with regards to your oven not working correctly, I am not sure where you are located but originally we bought a different oven and it was crap - baked in the same way yours is now, very uneven and burning the outsides of the cakes etc. When I purchased that oven I was assured that it would bake really well and as it didn't I was able to get a full refund on it.

If a product is unsuitable for something that one would generally expect it to be capable of doing then legally in Australia you can get a refund on it. If you disclosed the purpose that you wished to use a product for and it fails to meet the expectation you have of it from what you have been told that it will do the retailer must offer to refund/replace or repair the item to a standard that you are happy with.

If I were you I would definitely look into whether you are able to request a refund, don't just ask your retailer, if you have a consumer affairs where you are get in touch with them and find out what rights you have before paying to replace the one that you have already bought.

EasyParty Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you very much everyone for thoughts and suggestions!!! 

bubs1stbirthday - there is no way to get a refund, Maytag/Whirpool company doesn't even want to fix the problem because we didn't purchase the warranty. 

shockolata - I am from Canada and we have IKEA here, for some reason I've never even checked their appliances. Always buy furniture but never appliances. Gotta look and check them, thank you! 

GE sucks as well as Maytag and Whirpool. Never again I am buying a stove without warranty :) 

EasyParty Posted 6 Sep 2015 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 11

K8-Memphis yes!!! That rotating oven is a dream!!!! :) maybe one day we will have it!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%