Sugar Flowers On Cream Cheese Icing - Possible?

Sugar Work By basketjo Updated 5 Sep 2015 , 1:46pm by costumeczar

basketjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketjo Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

I've been baking a carrot cake with cream cheese icing for the family for years. Now my daughter has asked that I make it for her wedding. I would love to add some gumpaste flowers, but don't know if the moisture from the cream cheese icing would make them 'melt". Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 5

You need to create a waterproof barrier between the flowers and icing.  I've painted the bottoms of flowers with candy melts or maybe you could hide a fondant platform under the flowers?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

They should be fine, but some of it would depend on the kind of gumpaste that you're using. I refrigerate gumpaste on cakes  overnight all the time and nothing happens to it. It wouldn't hurt to do the white chocolate on the back of them like @Pastrybaglady  said if it makes you nervous.

basketjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketjo Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

@costumeczar - what kind of gumpaste would you recommend?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2015 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 5

I wouldn't use the store-bought fondant+tylose "gumpaste" since it isn't really gumpaste and it tends to be more susceptible to humidity in my experience. The recipe they have on the back of the Wilton GumTex is useless too. Get a recipe that uses gelatin, ti's a real gumapste and holds up better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%