Foam Cake Boards

Decorating By kaieta Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 3:21am by kaieta

kaieta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaieta Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hello...I'm thinking about using foam board cake circles instead of the cardboard ones. Which ones are better and if I use the foam boards how do I cover them? I'm going to be covering the cakes in fondant so should I just cover the boards as well? Please help...

5 replies
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

Foam boards are very expensive in the UK so I do not use them but you can find lots of tutorials on them on YouTube and pick and choose your favourite method. Personally, I would not consider the naked paper on the foam board to be clean enough to lay a cake on. At least with the pulp paper ones that are covered in foil, I can wash and dry the surface. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

i agree with shockolata -- and my cake friend on here advised (if i am remembering correctly) to wipe down the foam core paper with vanilla because it has alcohol in it then coat the surface with soy wax -- so the cake is protected -- you of course want to get the right kind of soy wax --

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

yes you can just cover them with fondant -- a lot of us use florist foil which is not food safe -- wilton foil is food safe -- but if you cover the base with fondant i would harvest the center back out -- only leave the part that will show -- no use adding that much unnecessary fondant under the cake kwim -- so you would still want to do the vanilla wipe down and the soy wax cover so when you remove the fondant it is still food safe

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

and cover with fondant the day or two before so it sets up so you can't ding it as easy when you place the cake on there 

kaieta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaieta Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 3:21am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the great advice...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%