Cake Base Board ???

Decorating By Amps.prkns Updated 3 Sep 2015 , 10:18pm by -K8memphis

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for Sunday, the bottom tier will be gold done in gold edible luster dust. What color should the baseboard be? it's about 2 inches bigger than the bottom tier. I thought of painting it gold or wrapping it in gold foil but that might look weird if the color doesn't match. Should I cover it in white fondant? The cake is buttercream though. It's a laminated pine board so it just looks like a light wood grain. Please help!!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 6

i would cover the edge with fondant -- no use using/losing the fondant under the cake board -- yes I would do white -- i hope the board is 2" bigger all the way around -- not just a 2" difference for example not a 12" cake on a 14" board but on at least  16" board so there's a 2" ledge all the way around -- i prefer a larger bottom boardboard than that even  -- unless it's sitting on a plateau which in this case it's not --

or you could do another color in the design besides the white & gold--

best to you

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 6

How about black fondant base? It would be dramatic! 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 6

black would be pretty cool -- increases cost a bit but very cool

andif you cover with fondant do it the day or two before so it sets up so you can't ding it as easy when you place the cake on there 

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 3 Sep 2015 , 9:21pm
Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

I paint my white fondant black ;) My edible black paint from Squires Kitchen goes a looong way! And it's nice and shiny. I don't bother colouring my fondant if it is just to go on the base.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2015 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 6

good idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%